Gear synchro problems :(

135

Asked by Jun 13, 2008 at 07:51 PM about the 1996 Dodge Avenger 2 Dr ES Coupe

Okay so anyone have a  manual Avenger and tell me why i get stuck with the most messed of gear synchro in 2nd gear!!! lol Let me tell you it freakin' sucks!!!!!! Er... new transmission possibly is the answer right?

49,205

This could be the problem...But need to know more information about what exactly is happening in 2nd gear.

590

thats trans has a had a few (very few) issues with second gear, but its usually the syncros,,i believe you cant get the syncros seperate at a dealer, the whole shaft would need to be replaced, but if yoy go to and aftermarket shop, they mey be able to find you the specific parts you need.. but note... the trans needs a removal and disassemble for an acurate diagnosis..

135

Yea yuck, i really do not want to take the trans apart, thats a nightmare of mine! haha oh well i guess i can deal with it. It grinds and it is really annoying, but i can get it into second gear just fine most of the time, but downshifting is a bitch!

35

I had MANY problems with my Avenger... when I had it. I had the biggest problem of it not staying in 5th gear. I ended up bending one of the forks in the trans and had to do an entire rebuild. Crappy!! I never had a problem with second gear, but I always did with 3rd. Couldn't downshift... barely could get it to go into gear. I stopped downshifting and that solved half of my problems, but turns out it was the linkage cables.... Let me tell you, that's a RIOT to drive like that! (kidding). I did a trans rebuild and it cost me about $600 for parts. Good luck!!

95

My 96 Avenger also has some issues with 2nd gear... strange. Not too bad, but definitely noticeable when its cold. Your best bet is to either have the tranny rebuilt or get a remanufactured one installed. I hate to throw a curve ball at you, but it could also be the clutch: the clutch disc might me worn out, or you may be low on clutch-release fluid.