Car cranks but wont start

10

Asked by Jan 02, 2015 at 10:07 AM about the 1997 Dodge Stratus 4 Dr ES Sedan

I have a 97 Dodge stratus i bought
just a few days ago. It was running
just fine no sputtering, hesitation
or warning lights. The only thing
wrong was it would run cold and
only warm up when sitting, I was
told it needed a thermostat. The
car sat over night in 20 deg
weather and now when i start it it
just cranks but wont actually start.
Its not the battery or starter. I put
some gas in it just in case and still
nothing. You can hear the fuel
pump kick on but it will kick on
and off and you can hear a click
each time in the fuse box under the
hood. All fuses are fine, checked
them and non are blown. Replaced  
the relay for the fuel pump as well.
What could be wrong?? Fuel pump
fuel filter? Could the bad
thermostat be to blame? There is
gas in the pressure line thing but
dont know if it's enough. It shoots
out a little gas if you press the
button on the line? Could it be
electrical with the click in the fuse
box? Please someone help me??

39,165

Locate your cam position sensor and unplug it. See if engine will start. May need to replace it.

10

Nope that made absolutely no difference. Thank you though :)

39,165

Try unplugging the lead to the radiator temp sensor. See if that makes a difference. Then try unplugging your EGR. The radiator temp sensor regulates fuel mixture in accordance with the engine temp. If bad, it may be injecting too much fuel causing a no start condition.

250

Help my car won't start it s a 04 Dodge stratus...I change battery, starter and checked engine plus did a flush for the radiator still nothing

39,165

Elizabeth, when you say it won't start, is the engine turning over and over? Or do you turn the key and get absolutely nothing at all?

50

My 2004 dodge stratus is turning over but not starting what can be the problem

39,165

Christan_1, It could be that your anti-theft is preventing it from starting, or if no anti-theft, it would most likely be your fuel pump. Remove gas cap. Put your ear to the hole and have someone turn the key to accessory. See if you can hear the fuel pump humming. If no humming, it's a fuel pump issue.

10

Reelin68,,,my 2002 does same thing turns over but won't start ,,,,and I do have anti theft on it ,,how do I unplug to c if that's the problem

20

My 99 dodge stratus is doing the same it will turn over but won't start I can not figure it out for the life of me

39,165

Shari, you can't simply unplug the alarm. You will most likely have to take it to the Dodge dealer if you thinks it's the alarm that's giving you the issue. There should be an alarm light that is flashing on the dash. Can you see anything flashing? If so, that usually means that your alarm is the issue.

39,165

Equator_809, here's a list of things to check, starter relay, fuel pump, neutral safety switch. Some vehicles will not start if the brake pedal switch is bad. Are all of your brake lights coming on? To check the fuel pump, remove gas cap and put ear to the hole. As you have your ear to the fill hole, have someone turn the key to the accessory position. You should hear the fuel pump humming. You can also touch the metal end of a screw driver to the bottom of your gas tank and press your ear against the plastic handle as someone turns the key to accessory. Check Youtube for videos on how to check your neutral safety switch and starter relay.

10

I never even knew people where still on this thread after all this time lol. The problems with my car ended up being the wiring, it was messed up at some point during someones failed attempt at repairing something. We ended up putting on a new timing belt, and getting a whole new computer from a pull it yard for 60 bucks, had a mechanic rewire everything with the new computer and every thing worker perfect after that.

@Reelin68, I have a 1998 Dodge Stratus. Crank No start condition. So here's what's going on; I've gotten the car back from the shop after they replaced the Timing Belt, and Water Pump. It ran great with absolutely no problems for about a month. I noticed the Power Steering Fluid was dramatically low and the steering didn't fall back straight when turning and letting go of the wheel. It would stay turned, but that's besides the point. Anyways, I overfilled it and some spewed out, and the car sounded like it slipped while driving down the road. It cut out, and I turned it back on and it ran fine for another week. Ive previously changed the Fuel Pump Assembly before we got it into the shop, then it sat for quite a while. So I tried changing the fuel filter, noting that it's bad to only change the fuel pump and not the fuel filter. Vise versa .Those should be changed at the same time. So we then again, replaced the fuel filter, and fuel pump. It still won't start up. :( Now, I've popped off the cover to the ECM/PCM and there's is OIL IN IT! I don't know how it got there. I've done searching and apparently it isn't a unknown issue, but a rare one at that. I don't know what to do.

39,165

Isaac, the first thing I would do is go to your local salvage yard and get another ECM. If yours is full of oil, it must be shorted out. Post back after you replace your ECM if you still are having start issues.

My 2006 Dodge Stratus it cranks but it won't start you could hear were the against the fuel pump turns on when you put your ear on it and we've tried other little things but nothing seems to work it has a new timing belt can you please help