shut down after overheated now will crank but wont start

Asked by Sep 02, 2015 at 12:27 AM about the 1997 Dodge Neon 4 Dr STD Sedan

I bought a dodge neon and the people before my just changed the radiator.  it would over heat after driving it 5 miles at least.  I changed the thermostat and all that did was take and make it go a little further without over heating.  Seems the fans aren't working.  Also it overheated and shut its self down.  I will still crank but I cant get to start.  any suggestions on what to do would be awesome.  also I already changed the coil pack and crank position sensor.

2,365

how hot did it get the last time?

72,495

The previous owner may have put a stop leak product in the cooling system as a "Band-Aid" to fix the radiator until they could get it replaced. Try spraying some starting fluid down the throttle body and see if it'll run a few seconds on it. If it will, it's a fuel problem. If not it's an ignition (no spark) problem. Since it's been overheated a few times I'm guessing it's going to be an ignition problem. But let's find out for sure. Once you get it running again I'd recommend a cooling system flush with a chemical cleaner. HTH. -Jim

4,025

check compression, overheating can blow gasket.

30

well like you said the "FANS" are not working that might be your problem.. another thing if you have been running this car like that for sometime you could have a crack block. look for leaks also fix the fans it won't run to long without them.