97 Dodge neon missfires on #1 cylinder and on that same cylinder u can take the plug wire off the plug and it doesn't want to die like the other 3 do. What could be the problem?

Asked by Jun 10, 2015 at 12:09 AM about the 1997 Dodge Neon 4 Dr STD Sedan

Cars missfiring on cylinder # 1making
it run really bad, sounds like a vw bus.
I changed the spark plug wires, plugs,
coilpack, and fuel filter and nothing
has changed!

Maybe antifreeze is leaking into that cylinder. I had that problem and did all those things. Eventually had head gasket replacement which stopped the miss and loss of antifreeze. I have a 2000 Taurus.

93,095

That sounds like a dead cylinder, pull the spark plug with the engine cold and crank it over a little, see if any fluid blows out, if not then test the compression on the engine, that will give you an idea on the cylinder spread, they should all be within 10 to 15 lbs of each other, anything wider that indiacates trouble.