my daughter came home and said car started to run hot,did not get to the red,just under

10

Asked by Sep 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM about the 1997 Dodge Neon 2 Dr Highline Coupe

coolant tank looked empty.I added water,came out as fast as I could pour in/I am guessing it needs a new tank.Can not see how it would come out on top,is this something easy for me to change ? if not how much should it cost labor to replace ? also can I add water to radiator to drive it somewhere ?
1997 neon 2.0 dohc

5,640

You should all ways check the radiator first when it is cool not when hot The resavore tank should be easy to replace why it cracked and leaks I do not know. The water was comeing out the top where you are filling it? Was the car hot when you tried to add? if they are hot you will have pressure from heat and the rad will not sifen in. All ways add fluid when its cold never when hot

5,640

But make sure the rad is full before you add to the coolent tank

10

yes the tank was leaking from the bottom.will let sit overnight,then check radiator in the am.to replace the tank,which is against the firewall,does it come out from the top or bottom.Could not figure out how from top but it was getting dark. Again thanks all who reply !

5,640

Are you sure you are looking at the right tank? all the over flow tanks i Have seen are on the fender well. Look at the cap I think you are looking at the washer fluid tank or the brake fluid. The cap will tell you

5,640

There should be a small hose comeing of your radiator right by the radiator cap follow that it will leed you to the right tank

6,685

To remove the tank there are two nuts attached to studs on the firewall, remove the airbox and filter housing from the back of the engine there are two 13mm bolts holding the bracket to the cylinder head. Remove out the drivers side by the brake booster it's the only way to get it out.