ST Gen Intrepid 1997 no heat already replaced thermostat

45

Asked by Oct 12, 2012 at 09:29 AM about the 1997 Dodge Intrepid 4 Dr ES Sedan

Replaced the thermostat already. What else could be wrond and how would I fix it.

5,925

When your vehicle does not have heat, it usually means that your vehicle's heater core is leaking. The heater core is a radiator-like device used in heating the cabin of your vehicle. Hot coolant from your vehicle's engine is passed through a winding tube of the core, a heat exchanger between coolant and cabin air. A fan then pulls air over the core and the cabin air is warmed. Do you smell coolant when you turn your fan on? That is the best indication that the heater core has sprung a leak! Also check your radiator and reservoir levels. Is the coolant low? Loss of heat could also mean that your water pump is not working (that is usually a gradual process) or you have air in your coolant system. None of these are terribly big bad problems but I would not drive it because it means that coolant is not circulating properly through your engine. You will surely cause your engine to overheat and break while it is running. You could cause thousands of dollars of damage to your vehicle if you drive it. Let me know what you find!

45

The car was given to me. I know the thermostat was replaced. No smell of coolant when heat is turned on, just not warm. The AC blower but had to be fixed as it had a leak. Was recharged and is fine. Thanks I will look into this issue further.

5,925

I would say it is most likely a water pump issue.

35

Have you checked the car for coolant?

45

Yes we have, several times and it is fine, full of coolant.