I have a 97 3.5 dodge itrepid that lost power

Asked by Oct 24, 2011 at 10:45 PM about the 1997 Dodge Intrepid 4 Dr ES Sedan

the engine turns on, while it is idling, there is a strong fuel smell, I step on the gas and it rebbs up roughly, if I put it in drive and step on the gas it verly goes about 10mph with the pedal to the metal, I thought it was bad spark plug wires, so I changed them, problem continued, so I changed the plugs and the problem continues  I ran the on board  diagnostic and it gave me codes  12,27,34 and 43......I have the definitions for these codes out of the Haynes Manual, but I just can't figure them out. 12 says, problem with the battery connection, direct, direct battery input to controller disconnected within the last 50 ignition key-on-cycles.
I've lean the all battery terminals and that code still comes back. code #27 one of the injector control circuit output drivers does not respond properly to the control signal...hummm what is that, and how do I check it? code #34 open or shorted condition detected  in the speed control vacuum or vent solenoid circuits. how do I check that? code# 43 peak primary circuit current not achieved with the maximum dwell time !! what does that mean?.... can someone tell me what to do!!

PIMP, have u checked "the direct battery input to controller"? 2 me it sounds like the controler is out of control due to bad battery connection or controler is just bad,as the codes sound like all of ur problems stemming from bad controller or dc power contacts to it. good luck!

I spent several days trying to figure out just what my problem was with my 97 intrepid, after changing the spark plugs and wires and not solving the problem .I started to check the spark to each plug # two and one were not firing, so I changed the coil, problem continued, It turned out to be broken wires to the coil connector that were not visible to the naked eye... fixed the wires and the problem was solved engine ran smothly the nex problem was the stong fuel smell...... problem was that the injectors were leaking fuel not while ideling but while driving.... I ran diagnotics after that and the only error I got Back was 12 says, problem with the battery connection, direct, direct battery input to controller disconnected within the last 50 ignition key-on-cycles. I just canĀ“t figure that one out............so if any one has a similar problem you know where to check first.....

6,765

have seen the batterys on the older intrepids leak and get acid on the wiring and cause all kinds of problems like you describe.

10

There is a recall for leaking fuel rails in this car.