Transmission won't engage when fluid is cold

Asked by Aug 11, 2010 at 02:31 AM about the 1997 Dodge Intrepid 4 Dr ES Sedan

97 intrepid 3.5. when I first start it and put into drive or reverse the transmission won't engage into drive or reverse until the fluid has warmed up and once its warmed up it engages and shift fine, no slipping and pulls real good. the fluid is at the correct level. what could be the problem, wrong fluid, trash, electrical. how can I fix this any ideas?

10

I had the same problem with my 2000 Intrepid, (2.7L engine). I added some leak stop with seal softener component to the AT and it has help out a lot. Only when I let the car sit unused for long periods do I have to rev the engine in D or R to get it to go. You will still have a auto shifting lag now and then (mornings at first use) but you can use the manual (slap) shifting feature to get it going.

60

need to replace trans,fluid and filter,pretty easy job,