My 1997 Dodge intrepid is running hot.

80

Asked by Dec 30, 2010 at 03:45 PM about the 1997 Dodge Intrepid 4 Dr STD Sedan

My 97 intrepid is running hot. Both my fans have stopped working. I replaced the relays and fuses for the fans and they still will not work. They work  just fine if i hot wire them. However, even hotwired, the fans aren't keeping the car cooled down. I've replaced the thermostat and the heat sensor next to the thermostat. I don't see any visible leaks, but do smell antifreeze when the car begins overheating. This is a 97 dodge intrepid, 3.5 V6. What are the other possibilities for my overheating and for my fans not working? Thanks in advance.

645

Head gasket may be bad. Burning water will make a motor real hot.

80

I took the intake off to find it didn't even have a gasket on it. I put a new gasket on it and found the air charge temperature sensor to be bad. I have one ordered. Hoping it's not anything to do with the head or head gasket.

645

The extra air would cause it to run lean and a lean motor runs hot plus the bad sensor

80

The car has two fans. I'm certain one is the ac fan. The other will not kick on, however. Is this due to the bad sensor?