Can't get key out of ignition of 2013 VW bug

Asked by Jul 06, 2015 at 04:28 PM about the 2013 Volkswagen Beetle 2.5L

I have a terrible time getting the key out of the ignition or turning it at all. It is not the steering wheel lock that's doing it, hard to get the key to turn, to turn it on or turn it off or get it out of the key ignition switch.

90

Hi Mark. I absolutely HATE VW because of this!!! I just purchased a 2010 Beetle a month ago and it has this same exact problem already!!!. The car is adorable. I've always wanted to drive a Beetle but now I hate it. I sit in my smoldering car in 90 degree heat UNABLE to turn the key in the ignition. Yes, I have jiggled the steering wheel forcibly, turned the wheel gently, talked to the key and even begged it to turn! Still nothing happens-- except I keep sweating and hating the car. I hate VW as a company now. Does anyone out there know how to solve the problem before I just sell this frustrating adorable car???

30

Finally - someone who experiences the same thing. For me, it only happened in the summer - and now after the 5th summer of this very irritating situation and all the jiggling and other self- help nonsence, my car has been with the dealer 6 weeks and counting because the key would not turn over a 24 hour period. VW acts clueless. I agree they are cute - I will NEVER purchase another VW and will pass along the cronic defects experienced in 4 VW/Audi owned in my lifetime.

90

I actually had the used car dealer install a new ignition cylinder since the car was under warranty. I couldn't believe it when I STILL HAD (and HAVE!) the same problem even with a new ignition cylinder!!! I found that if I turn the ignition key with TWO hands placed on opposite sides of the key, this will turn the key and start the car. I know it's ridiculous, but this is what I now live with!

I am having the same issue with my 2012 Beetle right now and at this right moment my car is running parked on my driveway, cannot turn it off. Called the dealer and they want from $500 to $700 to replace the cylinder. I hate VW with my entire being, this is not the first problem I have with my car. The door check broke, the AC is not working and of course they want thousands of dollars to fix it. I am so frustrated.

55

This problem has been existing in VW cars for a long time.I cannot believe that there was not recall for this and it still happens so often. Now I know why VW does not sell that many cars in US. My wife have a 2012 Beetle. It has been difficult to turn off the car and get the key out for over a month, and finally I could not turn it off at all yesterday. I did some research, and found two ways to turn off the ignition and get the key out. Method 1: Follow this youtube clip, https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=m87ZQawcrPc You turn the key all the way forward as if you are starting the ignition, then release quickly to let the spring bounce the key backward. Method 2: Hold some force on the key to turn it towards you as if you are turning the ignition off while using a small hammer or something similar to tap the end of the key in the direction to push the key into the steering wheel. As the the key was knocked, it shall find its sweet spot to turn off the ignition. I am absolutely done with VW vehicles!

I am having the same problem, now I can't get the key out . I had to get someone to unhook the barrier so the car will go off