Dakota BREAK LIGHT switch , where is it ans why can i finde it

Asked by Oct 14, 2012 at 04:09 PM about the 1997 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr Sport 4WD Extended Cab SB

i have a 97 dakota and the break light switch needs to be replaced, i have a 96 dakota manual ?  

i cant find my break light switch on this truck , it says on top of the break pedal there is nothing there, it says under the pedal NOTHING THERE   where is it ?  i cant even find a video on were is is or if it even has one

18,275

It has one. It will be something that a circuit is completed by the pushing of the pedal. Usually connected to or near the brake pedal. Maybe it broke off its mount or something. Are the lights not working?

my main drl box died, so i replaced that , i now have front lights front blinkers but still no tail lights or back signals, i was told it could be a variety of things, but i bought the beak light switch, i think its at the base of the break light peddle, its really tucked in there , i don't think i can reach it, im afraid to pull wires or try digging for it, Don't want to get electrocuted

18,275

Disconnect the battery, cant get shocked then. Unless its an extrean case the 12v system will just hurt a little till the fuse blows. But ya, still disconnect the battery

8,715

ok, dakota, (not a mopar guy, but confident), looking at the brake petal (with a flashlight), follow it up to the base, or (pedal support bracket...on it will be a connector with wires (not sure how many, the only connector on the bracket....you will follow them to what looks like a box, (by now you are laying on your back looking up toward the roof of the truck) you should see on the bracket a box looking thing, (NOT resemble a switch at all)...if i remember could be white and black, not sure but confident it is plastic...some have a release tab/on the side of the bracket, some just pull off...let me know if i am anywhere close, if not i will find out for you....no, you should no the 12 volts won't hurt you, but i do wonder if you checked ALL fuses?message me for more info

I am having problems with my brakes, fuses look good bulbs are good. I have not checked break switch yet, if that is ok then what