Strange coolant leak 3.3

250

Asked by May 31, 2011 at 05:56 PM about the 1997 Dodge Caravan 4 Dr ES Passenger Van

A couple of weeks ago I had to replace my A/C compressor. A day or two later I noticed that I had a coolant leak. It appeared to be coming from the water pump, but the strange part is it only leaks for the first 5 min (or so) after you turn it off. So I got some UV dye and put in the radiator and drove it a couple of days. Pulled the wheel and splash guard off. Best I could tell it was the pump, so I replaced it. That was not the problem, It still leaks just as much.
Now when I look under the hood, I can tell that the water pump is dry all the way around. It appears to be leaking somewhere above the pump and running down across and around the pump. It will dump about half a gallon each time you turn it off.
Does anyone have any ideas, is it possible that I did something when changing the compressor?
'97 ES G.C. 3.3, w/o rear air, FWD.

12,235

replace your thermostat housing gasket

250

Thanks Dan, but I can see the Thermostat housing, well enough to know that it's not the problem. I have been told to check the 5/8 heater hose, from the pump to the intake, gonna try that.

have you checked the intake manifold coolant crossover?

250

UPDATE: The original problem was the water pump to intake hose, which required removing most of the front of the engine. Then every single clamp (all those factory "spring" type) I had to remove to get to the first one, started leaking one by one. So if you ever have to remove these type clamps, replace them, rather than having to take them back off.