All speakers went out at once

15

Asked by May 03, 2015 at 08:59 PM about the 2013 Toyota Corolla LE

Had my 13 Corolla for 3 months and randomly after I washed it, the speakers have gone
out. All my fuses are fine, wires are connected, touch screen works fine just no sound. I
have tried EVERYTHING. Cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove my screen
without screwing it all up. HELP!

195

Have you moved stuff around in the trunk, perhaps striking one of the speaker wires? One of them could have become disconnected and shorted the other one out. Also, look under the front seats for a metal box which could be an amplifier. Maybe while vacuuming under the seat you could have a damaged the plug going into the box, if one is present. AHA, this could also be "anti-theft" related. You'd have to drop by the dealer to get that checked, probably no charge. One thing to check, although it may be a bit difficult to perform, would be to disconnect all 4 speakers and try connecting each speaker by itself. Maybe you'll find a shorted one that way.

195

Here is a photo I borrowed from another post. Look for this condition on the rear speakers. Do you see the braided wire where it contacts the speaker frame? The wire cannot touch the frame - the system will shut off all speakers as a safety feature for the radio. Click to enlarge:

15

No box under my seats except for the computer occupant detection. Checked my wires, and they're not touching the speaker frame. I'm so lost about this and it's making me so angry. Ugh. I can't afford to take it to be fixed and of course, the only warranty I have remaining is the power train.

195

I still think you have one speaker grounded somewhere, maybe it's in the front, because this is a documented problem with Corollas when all four speakers stop working, but usually it's in the rear and I know you already checked that. Nevertheless, drop by an 'independent' stereo shop and I'd bet they'd check it for free. Not sure about Best Buy or places like that - they want to charge for everything. As a long shot, let me know if you happen to be near Greensboro, NC. By the way, I'm a former Kenwood/Alpine Electronics installer.

15

Replaced my speakers and completely removed the stereo/dash and nothing is frayed, missing, burnt, or broken. Looks like I'm going to a stereo shop in the AM.

195

Be sure to let us know what happens! :-)

15

Will do! Thanks for all your help :D

195

After some research, and this may be a little too late, it looks like all Toyotas have a minimum 3yr/36K mile warranty. Unless you have over 36K miles, the dealer should fix this problem.

195

It seems I've become obsessed with trying to figure out a way to get this fixed at no cost to you, ha ha! "IF" you have already exceeded 36K miles, you can try contacting the previous owner and ask if they notified the dealer about radio problems. If the dealer replaced the radio (or any other accessory) then the warranty for the replaced accessory is 12 months from the date of installation AND there is NO mileage limitation. This is directly from the official sales brochure from Toyota, for a 2013 Corolla.

15

It just hit 50,000 miles :( it was a certified used that was a rental for the lot

Yes please if you find anything out at all. I'm having the exact same problem. Removed everything... nothing wrong. Maybe internal amp in radio? If you found out please let me know. When I hit 50k exact it was like my speakers stopped... just weird.

15

I still have not found anything! This is so frustrating! I didn't think of the internal amp. I think I'm going to have my husband take the actual stereo apart and check out the inside! I'll report back!

Anything yet?

15

Not a darn thing yet. Been super busy with work but I did manage to go on vacation and on my way back, my sister tell me that my bumper is flapping so we stopped and it started detaching from the car right above the front left tire so now my bumper is tied and anchored to my frame. I'm so livid and pissed off with this car. I think I'll keep it a year and on the day, trade it in for a brand new one. Mine is 2 years old! I think the dealership I went to dumped a lemon on me.

10

I just recently started having this issue as well, wires are fine, but I haven't checked under the seat yet. I'll try to find an independent stereo store around here to see if they'll check it out.

Thank you P200071. I just stumbled upon this tread and was able to fix my sound, without taking it into the dealer. (tips hat)

Did shayna find out what was wronGoing? Just had this problem happen.