My truck has been running hot everybody is telling me it's the radiator ,water pump , thermostat ! The last guess was my fan that cools the radiator! Indeed the fan is turning but not enough to cool

Asked by Sep 03, 2014 at 08:07 PM about the 1998 Dodge Durango 4 Dr SLT 4WD SUV

The radiator and engine! So I guess
my question to u is do I need a new
fan or a adjustable fan controller or
what? I am so tired of all the guess
work need to know exactly what is
wrong with my car! PLEASE HELP

Replace the fan if you feel it is the problem,,as long as water pump circulate,s proper in the radiator,and doe,s truck run cool when driving down the road?

Best Answer

Starting out it does but if driven for a extended period of time it tends to go towards hot then back towards normal reading so I really don't know what is needed

Are you sure it,s hot,doe,s it boil?

Yes it does boil! When I stop and park I can hear it boiling inside the radiator

Do you have to add water?

What is bad temp sending unit?

I know these question seem crazy,but they will help me help you.

It send,s signal to your temp,guage.

Yes a little after it runs hot because some of the water comes out from the overflow container

Have you checked for water at the tail pipe?

No I don't mind I just need some help cause I don't know much about it

No I haven't done that! What would that mean if it was?

Run car, get it warmed up,then check tail pipe for water,leaking out of it.

Ok if it does then what?

Means, you may have a small head gasket leak,making temp go up.If you are see water at the tail pipe.

Ok thanks! Judging by what I have told u already! What do u think it is?

Im leaning toward water pump.

Ok! So what should I be looking for to determine if it is indeed the water pump?

The fact of the matter is there is a head gasket problem with every Durango made from 2000 - 2006 and Dodge or their mechanic's will not tell you this, to preclude a massive recall due to factory defects. I took a 2002 Durango 5.9 liter V-8 4X4 that was overheating. I literally tore the entire cooling system out and off the vehicle. New Fan, New Clutch for fan, New Radiator, New Water Pump, All new Hoses, New heater hoses, New thermostat and a new sending unit for the heat gauge. Put all new Antifreeze in pressure checked everything and no leaks..............Everything was fine for about a week and then PRESTO it was over heating. What was left to check everything was brand new, the entire system...........The only left was a head gasket replacement which is very costly especially if you don't know how to do it yourself.........The head gasket is never bad enough that water gets in the oil and your tail pipe never steams........ So what's the remedy. Go to your local auto parts store such as AutoZone, Oreillys, Walmart or NAPA. Buy you a bottle of Bars COPPER stop leak. You will know you have the right one it is copper looking........... Let your engine cool down....Take off the radiator cap.....Start the engine.....Shake the bottle of copper stop leak and shake it vigorously.....then open it and slowly pour it into the system... Once done place the radiator cap back on the vehicle and let it run for 10 - 15 minutes........Then take it for a drive for 5 - 10 miles (not in town stop and go driving) but out on a highway or a rural area and just a nice steady speeding.....Go back home shut it off and your all done......This will fix the problem for you... Now in a severe case, you may have to put one more bottle of the copper stop leak in and due just as before....PRESTO no more over heating issues, heater works perfect, and yes if it's summer time run that air conditioner....I have done this to (6) different Durango's for people and they have had no more over heating issues...............One last thing, I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9 engine in it. Has 238,000 miles on it, NO leaks of any kind, does not burn oil, and runs like the day I bought it, very strong. It is the same identical engine as in 1/2 the Durango's. Dodge went to a cheaper manufacture for head gaskets and now your the people paying for it......But DODGE WILL NEVER TELL YOU THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you pour the stop leak into the radiator tank? Or into the pressure hose with the pressure cap that goes from the engine to the radiator tank?