cant shift my 98 durango into 4x4

Asked by Feb 07, 2013 at 04:41 AM about the 1998 Dodge Durango 4 Dr SLT 4WD SUV

my truck wont shift into4x4 drive it is very hat\rd to shift and will not go into gear,when i try to go into nuteral then 4 wheel high it starts grinding can u help me ?

Google Durango owner's forums...there will be somebody somewhere with the same or similar problem. You have to put some effort in to it, search, scroll. you will find what you are seeking

syncro , glad to see your up and at them, good morning Dave

good morning back at ya..I posted that answer because I had no luck with finding a decent one

Sounds like trouble, I could probably find out with a phone call, but the person is probably long gone to Durango land, your sounding like Tenspeed, go to GAOwners club, god that just drives my crazy, it's as if he gets paid by the referral. I went and looked at that site and I have never seen such a collective group of knuckleheads in my life.

That is the first time I have ever suggested that, ouch, point taken

I will have to re-post as I learned how to delete posts, can you believe it Dave, I figured it out without having to go to CarGuru Dave for the answer and what I had posted was to say that I publicly say I'm sorry for that comment about the GAOwners club comment, that was a real put down and I really didn't mean it and I'm sorry bro, I didn't really mean it or did I??? Hum

You could call me an #@!& h0&%$ fr&^%$%ing %^#@!& in public and not offend me..especially when you're right.. I know how ya are dude.... besides my jaw hurts like a mo%^$#&er, wawawawa you know what I am talking about

calling the Durango talking points memo page, over, hello..... oh ya, yep I feel your pain my brother and you need to go take some medicine and relax and take care of yourself... I know how to delete some stupid statement if I want, ha ha, I taught myself, so what do you think of that smarty, oh I am so clever.

Oh yeah, real clever, start clicking everything eventually you will figure it out, since it's right there in the answer box Einstein

LOL, you got that right, click click click oh ya OK, Delete, that's easy. I'm so funny and I thought you had to go somewhere and if not get going somewhere anyhow, wise guy,,,,LOL

2,525

It´s a little different on my 02 but I think your truck needs to be still and your trany in neutral to put it in 4 wd low. If this has not been done for while it could be stiff and you might want to rock the truck back and forth a bit and try it again.

365

this sounds like you don't use your 4x4 very often. if you don't use your front diff at least once a month or more the fluid never gets a chance to lube the gears which equals a big problem. the best answer I can give is to take it to a reputable rear end shop and have them inspect the front diff. good luck.

Hammer time