What is wrong with my 1998 dodge durango

Asked by Nov 28, 2013 at 06:08 PM about the 1998 Dodge Durango 4 Dr STD 4WD SUV

My battery went dead and we took another battery out of another car (which was fulling charged) and it will not start. There is popping noise under the dash maybe behind the glove box we can not get this started someone said there may be a short or it could be grounded out but idk what that means how would i fix this

yes well the ground is what's wrong....follow the black 1/0 cable to where it attaches to the chassis/ground and another to the motor block slightly under the alternator bracket....be sure the negative terminal is clean....the "fuse link" is on the negative side too...you might see if that one is fried from solid ground at where it should be...corrosion happens when the dis- similar metals are making the "blue spark" leaving a 'semi-conductor" in it's wake~ providing varying available amps and varying voltages which play hell for the proper decision making that the ECU does, but is still hearty enough to juice the startermotor~

use a common wirebrush to bring it all back to SHINY~

2,755

does your lights come on and if so do they go weak when you try to start ? Could be what judge_roy said but it could also be the starter gone bad. You might also want to check all fuses both on drivers side of the dash and under the hood. Make sure all connectors and specially the ground ones are shiny clean.

2,755

Also when you get it running check what the alternator is giving you out in volts should be over 14 volt´s.