1986 Nissan 300zx won't start after rain

Asked by Sep 17, 2012 at 01:21 PM about the 1986 Nissan 300ZX Base

I recently acquired a 1986 Nissan 300zx, which I had to learn manual in order to drive-- I got it for 300 bucks
from a friend, it's not in the best condition but it's been driving. However yesterday it rained for the first time
since I've had the car, and since then it hasn't been starting when I turn the ignition. I hear a click, dash lights
turn on, but it won't start.  I've read that this means it's some problem with my starter system, and I checked my
distributor cap to see if it had gotten wet, but the top of it was caked with dust (making me think it probably
wasn't getting wet) and when I took it off, the inside looks clean and dry. I then tried to jump the battery but no
dice. Does this mean I need to check the spark plugs? What do I need to do, am I missing something here?

257,585

FIrst, what is the voltage on the battery? Check all your battery cables, Maybe your coil got wet? Maybe a bad ground wire?

is the security light flashing on dash when ignition is on? the modules for anti theft are located under pass seat and are subject to water due to leaking t tops check if floor is wet, if so remove and use hair drier to warm box let sit over night in warm dry location indoors. not one hundered percent the security is wired in to door timer (dome light) this component is located( ready for this?) rh edge of dash 1 inch from heater box inside the body of the car behind a peice of insulation. dash extraction is required to extracate this module. the two under the seat is the warning for anti theft the black plasic box is the controls for the lights and horn when activated. hope that helps i just did this on my z. 86 300zx.