heat & blower

45

Asked by Dec 17, 2009 at 03:05 PM about the 1998 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr SLT Standard Cab LB

my heat comes out warm I would say lightly warm & only blows out through defrost vent, any suggestions?

95

If the airflow only comes out of the defrost and not out of any other settings, then you have a problem with the direction of airflow. If it blows air out of all the directional settings, as the car was made to do, (but you don't get heat) then you have a problem with your blend door. If you get good heat in only one directional setting and none of the others, it could be that the blend door is only working when in that setting, which rarely happens unless its an electronically computer controlled program (that is, or has gone out of calibration). It could also be related to the heating (or lack of) problem... see below. The heat problem may be a couple of things: 1. If you don't have enough engine coolant properly running through the heater core, it won't blow out hot air to the proper temperature. 2. If you have enough coolant, but you have a blockage in the heater core, you will get the same result. 3. If your thermostat is stuck in the open position, it will take longer for your vehicle to generate heat through the heater core into the cabin interior.

45

Hi, thanks for the reply. just to clear things up a bit though, I am getting very good air flow from the defrost possition and only the defrost possition, no other settings work and virtually no heat at all... very little at best... let's say that I have enough coolant but I have a blockage in the heater core. How do I unclog the heater core or flush it out? is there a special way of doing it? and how do I get the blower to blow air out in all the directional settings? thanks, Rob

95

Unfortunately, if its a clogged heater core, it may stay plugged. Enough pressure to blow a clog out of a heater core is enough pressure to blow the heater core itself. Blowing a small leak into a heater core causes a constant leak onto the carpet under the dash. A regular flush (service by mileage or every 2 years for non extended life coolant) at a shop would usually use the pressure from the existing pressure of the water pump to circulate the coolant. Adding additional pressure may damage the heater core, your best bet is to take it in for a coolant flush/service. If the blend door is stuck so that you aren't getting heat from the heater core, your heater core COULD be ok, it could be just the blend door that is the problem. The easiest check to see if you have fluid going through the heater core is to find the inlet and outlet on the firewall under the hood of the truck. If both lines are about the same temp going in and out, when the engine is at proper running temp then its probobly not the heater core. If you need to replace the heater core, on most vehicles you have to pull out the entire lower section of the dash, and sometimes the entire dash, and that is just to get down to where the heater core is. If thats too much for you to handle, I would recommend taking it to an experienced mechanic. The blend door is right next to the heater core, so its just as deep in, under the dash. If you think you can tackle it, you should be able to find the schematic online. In a shop, I would use chryslers/dodge service information or all data at the least. You can buy a Hayne's or Chilton's manual at your local parts store (autozone, napa, advanced auto, o reilley's etc.) Sorry I can't be more help. It's sounds like parts need to be replaced, and no "quick fix" is available. Good luck, Robert