I have 2013 C70, there is a steady noise (hmmmm) while moving at any speed won't change. What could cause it? The dealer tried to help me by changing front bearing right and left and still getting the same sound. Many technicians tested the car and they can't find out what cause the annoying sound. Any one experience same problem?

25

Asked by Dec 16, 2015 at 04:15 PM about the 2013 Volvo C70 T5

I have 2013 C70, there is a steady noise (hmmmm) while moving at any speed
won't change. What could cause it? The dealer tried to help me by changing
front bearing right and left and still getting the same sound. Many technicians
tested the car and they can't find out what cause the annoying sound. Any one
experience same problem? I am at the dealer almost every day for tat sound
which drives me crazy. Can you imagine that I roll the windows down while
driving to avoid it?

Thanks

108,915

The pitch of the noise never varies? If the pitch goes up and down with speed then it could be road noise. Some tires can be quite noisy.

25

Thanks for your quick reply. No never varies same noise. 6 months a go I had new Goodyears 235/40/18 and after Laser alignment I had? they technician heard the noise and told me that It might be bearing. I went to the dealer and said that the noise is from tires not bearing. Then last month I went to goodyear dealer and the poor guy heard the noise and told me I can refund your money and took the four tires and return them to the factory. then I went to pirelli and bought new four tires which cost me more than goodyear tires then nothing changed. same steady noise while moving the car, from 30kmh to 120kmh same sound I got. Any idea?

108,915

Any mechanically based noise will vary with speed. There is the heating and cooling fan inside the car and the radiator fan that works part of the time. Are you especially sensitive to noise? If so you may want to add sound proofing.

25

the noise started approximately from last 6 months. I did not have it before. the checked the all the fans speeds. not one of them.

6,045

I suffered with the exact problem you described - changed front wheel hub assemblies, changed out 2 sets of premium tires, had the vehicle inspected by reputable shops (2) but no one ever found the source of the noise. After a year and a half, I took the car in to have a front suspension part changed and the mechanic (one who previously inspected the car) told me the REAR wheel bearings were severely worn and should be replaced. I had the work done and THE NOISE DISAPPEARED! It was not a Volvo but you might want to have yours looked at.

25

Dear sirs, How to install or add sound proof to my Volvo car? Where can I get it? Your help is greatly appreciated

10

Lower control arm bushings bad at the rear of the control arm. The lower control arms should be replaced which include a new ball joint and all bushings.(obviously the ft cntrl arms) .ft drive train noise is trannsmitted to the chassis and sounds like wheel bearings. Have your much put it on a lift a listen for the bearing noise before replacing! Many bearing have been replaced needlessly.

I have a similar whistling sound that I hear all the time in my C70. At first I thought it was the radio and that it might not be grounded correctly. That happened when I was a kid with an aftermarket radio in my 74' Chevelle. Could it be the Turbo on your (and my) C70?

108,915

Turbocharger noises vary in pitch as the engine load and speed changes. The pitch will vary a lot until it becomes higher than your ears can hear.

I have this EXACT problem with my 2013 C70. 3 dealers have looked at it and no one can come up with an explanation. It is a hollow hum and grating sound that seems to come from the front right wheel area....It used to ONLY happen at exactly 30MPH. Now I hear it from 30mph-55mph....extremely irritating sound that (weirdly enough) cannot be heard when the top is down.