I have been offered a 1965 red mustang.

Asked by Dec 02, 2014 at 02:34 PM about the 1965 Ford Mustang Standard Coupe

We're in Australia, but my husband is from California where the car was manufactured
and I'd like to buy it for our 30th anniversary.  It is in pristine condition with a red interior,
automatic and pony seats.  It will be checked mechanically, but is there anything in
particular I should look out for?

All I can say is I wish you were my wife. Lucky Man.

have it checked to see if the gas tank has been upgraded to prevent rear collision fires. the early mustangs were notorious for them and they did sell an aftermarket kit to fix this

Tom Harmon

I suspect the laws in Australia are similar to ours regarding Classic cars in that the cars are licensed as built without regard to the current laws. I was unaware that the Mustangs had a safety issue with the gas tanks but I do know there was quite an out-roar with the Ford Pinto's built back in the 70's. Ahh ,,, you have me yearning for a way-back machine. Our 2nd car was a red 1965 Mustang ... it may have been a Ford but it was a Corvette to me . Even though I was a young lad in his 20's .. I rubbed that car more than my wife. It had, air, auto trans, and a 170 CI 6 cylinder engine I still love that car even though it's probably went to the big car-crusher in the sky years ago

The late Great Tom Magliozzi said Pintos were the safest cars on the road. In the event of a rear-end collision it sent up an instant road flare that could be seen for miles to help avoid the scene

Is it a Inline6 or V8? I would check the torque boxes and rear frame rails, But since it's been in Cal. all it's life, there probably pretty solid, and being a automatic,the torque boxes haven't been taxed, other then that, The car sounds nice and clean, shipping cost will be around 1500-3000$, to get it to Australia from Cal. Great Stang!!!!! hope this helps....

Take it to a mechanic you can trust and have him check the engine and test drive it.