1965 Mustang with original 200 inline 6

5

Asked by May 28, 2014 at 09:18 AM about the 1965 Ford Mustang Standard Coupe

When driving it is hesitating like it wants to die. Once stopped and parked for a short time 5- 10 minutes it does not want to start. After giving it alot of gas it starts then dies when you take off, it will start back up with the hesitation. Any ideas?

22,725

wow- this is an old car- with a most basic engine- it should be real easy to diagnose and fix- I had one of these back in the day, and the carb and choke gave me trouble-

34,665

Fuel pump maybe. Sounds fuel related.

175

It could be caused by vapor lock. if I remember correctly, the 200ci did not have cross flow heads (meaning that the intake and exhaust manifolds are on the same side). As the exhaust gets hotter from driving, the carb soaks up the heat and when it gets hot enuf the gas in the carb turns from a liquid into a vapor. If this is what's happening, you could try putting a heat sheild around the carb to protect it from the heat of the exhaust.

Best Answer