1965 GT?

Asked by May 18, 2011 at 12:56 AM about the 1965 Ford Mustang Standard Coupe

I am looking at 1965 Mustang claimed to be a GT. The exhuast does not have trumpet tips through the rear valance and there are no GT tags.  However, the fog lights, dash, disc brakes w/brake pedal point to a GT.  I read a couple of years ago that Ford made some of these Mustangs prior to marking them as GT's early in the 1965 production year; which it is not officially a GT, but has nearly all of the specifications as one.  Is actually true?  This is the second 1965 I have looked at this way.

your info is right,the GT came out later or in 66.

The GT was available in 1965, it has either an A or a K for the 5th vin digit. The fact it is missing the trumpet tips points to it not being a GT, but given the age of the vehicle the only true indicator to go by is the vin.

5

Thanks Jeff, the car has an A code engine. I wish I had printed what I read a couople of years ago when I looked at the other Mustang. Here is what I remember, the GT began production in Feb 65 and available in Apr. However, some Mustangs prodeuced prior to that date, Ford incorporated some of the GT aspects into a regular mustang, ie....disc brakes, new dash. This car, like the other one, has the Mustang letters on the front fenders but not the GT emblem and NO pony emblem, which Ford removed and placed the GT emblem.

145

Back in the day you had to order EVERYTHING that wasn't standard, EXTRA. Power steering, brakes, air conditioning, stripe or pinstripe package, etc. If it wasn't sold as a GT, it wasn't and isn't a GT. You had to purchase a GT model. I owned a 1966 coupe that had all GT options, EXCEPT the GT package. Wasn't a GT. It had to have the 271 HP engine. Mine was the usual 200 HP. The VIN number can be read to id what the car was originally.

THANK YOU.

5

Thanks Elizabeth. The guy tried to sell the car as a GT, but it was not a factory GT. It did have some of the GT "pieces", disc brakes, A code engine, lower MUSTANG lettering....it just was not a true GT. I knew all of these things, but wanted some confirmation from some others. I gave up when he would give me the trim information from the tag so I could determine the manufacuring date. When I tell people that they do not have a GT but some components of a GT, they do not believe me. Thanks again.