I have to put the pedal to the floor just65 289 V 8 - When I start the car, it finally starts it acts flooded and then will not idle and just spits misses and runs all around rough with horrible smoke

Asked by May 03, 2011 at 08:11 PM about the 1965 Ford Mustang Standard Coupe

145

I think it's a 1965 289 engine that you're talking about... it sounds like the choke is sticking closed or the accelorator valve is sticking open, either way you're getting too much fuel compared to the amount of air into the combustion chambers. If it's the choke, it's the wrong carb to begin with because the 65's didn't have automatice choke. Either way, remove the carb, stuff a couple of rags into the intake and take the carb to your favorite shop to have it looked at and remedied. Pay them to fix it! Do NOT attempt this yourself unless you feel like buying a totally new carb for your engine.

replace fuel pump,get your carb rebuilt,replace choke pull off,check it for a worn out vac line.

165

The only 65's that had chokes were the K code 289's, all the rest had automatic chokes..

165

I meant to say the only 289's that had MANUAL chokes were the K-code 289's...

145

I didn't know that, thanks!

Thank you. It is a 289 out of a 1965 coupe. It is becoming frustrating. I had the carb rebuilt, changed the fuel pump, new fuel filter, new gas tank, blown out gas line new plugs, new points. I was able to get it started and timed it, it was way off, that has helped a lot. Now just down to getting it started and idling. It has stopped missing, now just running rough. I think it is the vac line or the choke, heavy on the think!!! I will try those things and see what happens. Long story short, I completely rebuilt the car with my father in the late 80's. Engine was completely professionally rebuilt, put the car in storage in 1991 just for a couple of months which ended up being until late 2010. Now going through it with my son trying to get it up and running.

Thank you for your input Papa.

Thanks Mikey and John!

sence it has been setting,have you replaced dist cap,,rotor button.setting like that,moisture will set up in the dist cap and the others will rust or corrode,even the plug wires will go bad,coroodeinside dist cap.