98 Dodge Caravan is squeaking how do I stop it?

Asked by Aug 02, 2014 at 06:30 PM about the 1998 Dodge Caravan 4 Dr LE Passenger Van

98 Dodge Caravan is squeaking I had to change out the tension pulley but still have the
problem. I have also tried belt sprays but they just make it worse. What else can I do?

293,995

Might be another pulley, bearing or the tensioner itself doesn't have enough tension.

122,835

Agree with Tom. How old is your belt? Also could be harmonic balancer going bad.

thank you the belt is new but will work on your other suggestions.

20

I have had three Chrysler minivans and all have had this problem at one time or another. Change the belt and it goes away for a day or so. Change the tensioner or idler and it may go away for a short time. My 2000 T&C would not stop but I finally zeroed in on it and fixed it! I took a piece of heater hose and putting one side to my ear I used the other end to locate the squeal. It was coming from the crankshaft pulley. Looking closely it looked like the pulley was wobbling very slightly. So ti turns out that the crank pulley is called a harmonic balancer and is a two piece pulley with hard rubber between the center spoke part and the outer part where the belt rides. I replaced this harmonic tensioner, problem fixed! It has been more than a year and no problems! This harmonic tensioner/pulley is press fitted onto the crank, so you will need a three jaw puller to get it off, and an impact wrench to turn the bolt to get it back on! Good Luck! Roger