replaced radiator,thermostat,and bleeder valve still over heats

Asked by Dec 15, 2010 at 09:18 PM about the 1999 Dodge Intrepid 4 Dr ES Sedan

hi i have a 99 dodge intrepid 2.7 L and i replaced a bad radiator because the old one was bad ok done so i was running at good temp circulating fine but no heat ok thermostat right? i replaced the thermostat which was a long process very small work area ok done replaced hoses put new a.freeze in it heater still blowing cold check the water pump no leak from the weep hold no leaks from hoses i drove it around after running it at good temp it was overheating i looked on 800xxx forums says in a close system needs to bleed i tryed no a.freeze came out so i replace the bleeder valve now i ran it again steam coming from bleeder little coolant with the steam put about a gallon of anti freeze in it  still blows cold i drove it about 1/4 mile overheated to h with heat on blast no heat still i dont know what to do i dont have alot of money to go to a mechanic so i try to fix it myself so pls if there is anybody that can help with the intrepid tell me what i am doing wrong it would be appreciate it i wait till coolant is cool down to put more in maybe that would be the issue both hoses are getting fluid top bottom and does coolant get hot does that mean it is circulating thru the block? pls help!!!!!

75

try back flushing the heater core with a garden hose

30

it could be a leak in your cooling system like blown head gasket which can be expensive repair. I recommend removing your radiator drain plug at the bottom and Flushing your radiator with a garden hose while having your car running at idle for 15 minutes. Make sure the hose is continually running water into the radiator. If the temp gauge is Hot then you know theres a clog or a leak( like blown head gasket ) in the cooling system, since you replaced radiator and thermostat, we'll assume both are good. If it's a head gasket or radiator leak, here's an excellent cheap repair that worked for me with unbelievable results. My MPG went up and engine compression literally went up by 20-25%. I use "K & W gasket sealer" cost is 19.99$ sold at autozone, pepboys, kragens ( much better then a 300-600$ head gasket replacement by mechanic).. instead of running the K&W sealer for 20 minutes per instructions, keep it running in your radiator for 500-1000 miles, then flush your radiator again. Your cooling system and car should run significantly better. Make sure it's "K&W head gasket sealer" as other brands will clog your heating core and thermostat.

20

Same happened to me, car over heated, replaced radiator, water pump, thermostat, elbows to heater core, wonderful weekend! I despise dexcool antifreeze, its garbage!!! Fill the radiator, crank the car, open bleeder once the engine was warm to release air.....nothing, take thermostate and return hose off and put a garden hose in the radiator with the car running to make sure the bad coolant hadn't stopped up the water jacket. No water flowed freely. Put thermostat and hose back, nothing. So long story short, take Ur thermostat out see if the water circulates, if it does, you have a faulty thermostat that's gonna cost you almost $600.00. It did me!!!

50

Didn't help

30

Remove the heater outlet pipe. Long pipe under the upper plenium manifold. Replace it with the pipe which has the bleeder screw on the pipe. not on the plastic coolant air bleeder . Dodge made two kinds. The current one with the bleeder screw on the coolant air bleeder is trash. it has microscopic leaks that causes the car to overheat. Almost impossible to find the leak without a pressure gauge. Another defect by Dodge. But they did make the one with the bleeder screw in the pipe. Just hard to find. You would probably have to go to a junkyard.

I having the same exact problem if anything fixes it please let me know I'm so frustrated with this car after replacing everything

Hi guys feel your pain had same problem, 2 days of nightmare so I replace thermostat bleed it just steem coming out I was about to buy and replace water pump but I know big job, I tought about it and it came to me when you remove the thermostat antifreeze comes out so the ratiator it's empty, water in the reservoir tank doesn't move so what I did was I removed the hose that comes from the engine to the ratiator and poured ant ifreeze in it until it started to come out the engine put the hose back tied the clamb and started the engine inmidiatly the car started to run smooth opened the bleeding valve and there we go air started to come out and after antifreeze, run it for over an hour no problems tempature under the half way and heat working fine, mine is a 98 3.2L I really this helps you guys 'couse I know how frustrating and expensive it is.........