My 1999 Dodge Durango has a new batttery and now wont crank, wont start.

Asked by Aug 13, 2015 at 09:04 PM about the 1999 Dodge Durango 4 Dr SLT 4WD SUV

Came home turned off truck and next day go out to go somewhere. got in the car, no
lights. no beep beep beep. nothing. battery completely dead. this is a new battery. paid
115 bucks for it. Now has to be jumped for like an hour of mashing down the
accelerator. its absolutely crazy. How can this be fixed? My garage has had my truck
for a week and they can't figure it out. I need my truck to start and run.. HELP HELP
HELP. What is wrong with it?

89,005

Sometimes finding a battery draw can be challenging especially if there is more than one, you need to elemanate circuits one at a time to find them, a lot of new techs forget about the alternator being the culprit, the alternator is always the first thing I disconnect during a draw check.

They have had my truck for 7 days, I am sure they looked into the alternator. It is something else. I read a response on here about the blower motor fuse. My truck makes a ticking sound after I jump start it, drive it around and park it and turn it off, get out .. hear a ticking sound. Someone said they replaced the fuse to the blower motor and fixed the issue. The battery gets jumped, charges and next day flat as a pancake. I need to get my vehicle on the road again. Thanks for your response but that has already been considered and ruled out.

89,005

You hear a ticking sound after the truck is shut off, so some systems are still active when they should be off, it could be a PCM internal crosscircuited so it is active all the time, a short to power in wiring harness feeding some accessors, could even be a stuck relay. Electrical problems can be complex or super simple. I had a customer come into my shop with lighting problems, every time he stepped on the brakes all of his lights would come on, he had been to 2 other shops and they couldn't find the problem, I found that he had 2 crosscircuited bulbs in the rear of his rig, later he told me it all started after he hit a big pothole in the street, and that is what caused the bulbs to crosscircuit, an easy fix if you remember basics first. So if you trust this shop give them time, your sounds a little more complex.