I cant seem to get my truck to start. I turn the key and it sounds like it wants to start but it wont turn over?

Asked by Jan 10, 2015 at 09:50 AM about the 1999 Dodge Durango 4 Dr SLT 4WD SUV

38,435

How old is your battery. It sounds weak. If not a maint. free battery, pop the caps and make sure you don't have a dry cell. If low on water, add distilled water to the low cells. If you own a maint. free battery, and it's over 5 years old, you may have to replace it. You may just want to clean your battery connections and see if that makes a difference also. Take baking soda and water, soak your connectors in the solution. It will kill all the acid and corrosion that you can't physically scrape off.

Ok well i know my battery is week. But even with jumping it...it sounds like it should go and it just wont turn over

38,435

It sounds like the battery in the truck is too dead to even jump. First clean your connections and grounds. Try it again. If no dice, it may be your starter that's bad. If the engine barely cranks over, I mean it actually turns over, then it's your battery. If you're turning the key and there's nothing, it would be your starter. Try this: locate the starter, have someone turn the key to the ON position like they are starting the vehicle and hold it there, while they do that, rap the starter with a hammer. If it suddenly turns over, your starter needs replacement.

Well it turns over just fine. It just seems like there is no spark or something like that to get it going. Checking codes and it says i have a misfire on cylinder 7 but not sure what that means. But i was told that it may be the coil pack also?

38,435

Yes, could be bad coil pack, bad plugs, bad fuel injector, or low compression in the cylinder.

well I changed the coil pack and the distributor cap and rotor and it still doesn't start. its getting fuel to the rail...still baffled!

38,435

Since you have replaced the spark portion and have fuel, your PCM is probably the culprit. Here is a web site where you can order a new one fairly cheap: http://www.solopcms.com/