i have a 1999 dodge durango and it has been dying on me is some thing wrong in the security system because the light comes on when it does

30

Asked by May 02, 2013 at 06:26 PM about the 1999 Dodge Durango 4 Dr SLT 4WD SUV

did you do something between now and when it was working fine?

Is your battery old? seven years means change it or else...this might be the "or else" part~

30

no new battery , we think it is the secruity system but don't know how to disconnect it

should we knock on Sigurður Guðmundsson's door?

could you tell me what is the date of your battery is (removed buttons on the label)?

sent a private message to No.1....hopefully he's not dead or asleep~

30

its a new one

...well Sigurður Guðmundsson answered a question last week so gentleman does make the rounds one might think~ sure he'll answer the need...I have faith in the man. just like the Nordic look of his name~

admit it. I'm licked. am not acquainted with this level of technology...if we wait long enough I'm going to get curious and start scouring the web for answers~

Sigurður Guðmundsson emailed me back and told me "you're the expert" figure it out.....mister I cannot...No. 2, my associate H25 is on the job today, maybe he can chime in?

You can try re programming the key to the ECU. aka PCM The powertrain control module (PCM) in your Dodge Durango is located on the right (passenger side) of the engine compartment. It is the circuit board computer for the SUV designed to withstand extreme temperatures. The components in the engine, transmission, drivetrain and other areas send information to the PCM. If the PCM detects an issue with a component, it triggers the malfunction indicator light to illuminate on the dashboard of the Durango. Dodge technicians often debate as to when and if you even need to reset the PCM. Take ground cable off the battery. Turn the ignition key to the "on/crank" position for 30 seconds, then replace the ignition key to the "off" position. Reconnect the negative battery terminal and close the hood. Turn the ignition key until the Durango starts and allow it to idle. Check the dashboard for the malfunction indicator light status

2,835

I answered the question by checking the battery, the alternator and the connectors on the battery. Don´t know what happened to my answer. If the battery is weak this can happen or if the connectors on the battery are not clean or if the alternator is not giving you between 14 to 15 volts. Do you have an aftermarket alarm or just the factory one ?

Best Answer Mark helpful
30

i need to know how do you disconnect the security system

2,835

If it is a factory system you will need to take it to the dealer for that one. They will have to change the settings in the pcm. Have you checked the connections to the pcm if they are clean ?

I am working on something for this problem I will have a solution no later then Saturday

10

Relay maybe your relay going bad under the hood there's a relay with labeled vta

10

Still no answer to this?