battery drain

Asked by Mar 05, 2010 at 03:51 PM about the 1999 Dodge Durango 4 Dr SLT 4WD SUV

i have a 99 durango, the battery keeps getting drained i got a new interstate battery and put that in when that didnt help i got a new alternator woke up the next morning and it was deader than a doornail, what else should i try?

245

i have the same problem with my 98 its something with my alarm drianing power

90

I had the same problem with my 99 rango battery would be flatter than a pancake after about 6 hours but not all the time. The cluster kept sweeping a little the volts the temp all cept the speedo and tach. I could hear a little tick under the hood every few secs. I found some info about it being on the circuit with the interior lights which is fuse 12 if i unplugged it. the battery wouldnt drain. so i checked everything on the circuit some said it might be the rear wiper motor so i unhooked it no change. I even thought it might be my power locks maybe one of them was not locking fully and draining that wasnt it either. Turns out if you look in the power distribution panel behind the battery were all the relays and big fuses are my problem was the blower motor relay i pulled it and fixed no more sweeps on the cluster and no more ticking and no more dead battery I hope this helps these trucks are kinda troublesome with their electrical components hopeing i dont get the nobus computer issue i have been reading about. good luck

90

I have a 2004 Durango that has the same battery drain issue and I noticed the CD changer clicking/operating while the vehicle setting with ignition off. I removed the amp fuse as well as the radio fuse and it appears that the drain has stopped.

2,745

It can be many things, while you are finding out you can disconnect the ground connector of the battery when you have shut off the engine so you won´t kill the battery. You have to have a volt meter connected to your battery and take out one fuse at a time and see which one makes the volts go down when you remove it and take it from there when you find out which one it is.

80

I have a 98 dodge durango and was having the same problem. We tested the alternator and it tested good . So we changed the pcm , started right up , then it started draining again and shut down. Auto zone told us we might have to take it to an electrician, we're like forget it. So we finally figured out the problem ourselves, it was the alternator fuse in the power distribution box near the battery. It's a 140 amp alternator fuse. We got it in the dealer for $12. And now are truck is running great. We still got a new battery to be on the safe side. Hope this helps. Have any questions please feel free to email. Make sure before you put the fuse you have the battery cables disconnected.

10

My battery on my 99 Durango wouldn't stay charged for at all... I followed what Jose up there did with switching the 140 alternator fuseband it's running great now!

30

My alternator tested bad and battery kept training. The starter would just spin and spin and would start when it wanted. It was all that damn fuse. 5 bucks at Advanced Auto parts. Alternator tests fine now and battery charges at it should. That fuse was the culprit of it all.

30

My po

30

My99 Durango positive cable is always corroded and heats up ..what do you know about this problem. Pkez help

20

Can someone tell me how to get to fuse after I open the box

I have the same problem with my 99 dodge ram 2500. But I have came to conclusion that it could be a wire harness. Crank cencor. Alternator. Or bad wiring

We have a 2000 Durango. The battery drained and then a clicking sound near the passenger airbag started. The only thing that stops it is applying the brake. Any ideas? Could it be the sending unit?

40

i have a 2005 dodge durango the alternator is bran new after two days from sitting the battery is dead