ABS brake lights staying on. Has anyone found the true fix for this. Have been reading alot about it and no one seems to have an answer.Also shifting problems with the trans.Thanks

35

Asked by Jan 31, 2008 at 10:17 AM about the 1999 Dodge Durango 4 Dr SLT 4WD SUV

Looking for realistic fixes to the ABS brake lights and shifting issue since all sites I find information about these problems have yet come up with answers.  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40,335

First let me ask you this: What have you had "checked" on the ABS system? The most common causes of ABS light illuminations are faulty wheel speed sensors. These are mounted in the hubs and they record the speed of the rotation of the wheel. By far, this is the most common problem I saw as a Dodge service advisor. Going on from there is a laundry list of potential issues, from anything as inane as cracked/shorted wiring to something as involved as an ABS controller failure/ABS computer which is malfunctioning and indicating a problem where none exists. The ONLY way to diagnose this is to take it to someone who has a DRB-II Diagnostic Scanner, which is a Chrysler/Dodge tool specifically for these vehicles. Since you mention shifting issues, there could also be a related problem with the transmission. If the input or output speed sensor is acting up, your ABS could be "confused" by the conflicting data is it getting from its own wheel speed sensors vs. what the TCM/ECM are telling it. With the transmission again, the only way to have this truly fixed is to take a physical look at it, check for error codes present in the TCM, and test fluid pressure, etc. It's well worth the time to have this done as you could literally search for years before POSSIBLY hitting on what the problem is with your vehicle, since there are so many variables involved.

65

lol I cant tell you how many forums i have gone through looking for the answer as well..a lot of people say that they notice their speedometer also acting up at the same time as the lights...their fix usually involved a new rear speed sensor..my speedo isnt affected but i changed the sensor any ways, check the sensors on the left side of the tranny, if they are good check all the wires and connections and sensors on the breaks. my lights go on and off whenever it wants, first time it happen i did a 360 just by tappin the breaks...have not found a definite fix yet, but its probably one of those (i hope)

20

Amazing... My story is absolutely, word for word, the exact same as Morgan404's.

2,835

Replace your speed sensor located on the top of your rear differential. This is why your speedometer is acting up. 100% guarenteed to fix and will turn off the abs light. Cost = $40.00 for the part

65

i had speedo issues and trans shiftin issues as well as the intermittent abs light (on for a while then of breifly then back on) sumtimes it would lock up 1 rear wheel. mine went away when i changed the vss on top of the rear end

50

there is a recall on the 1999 durango ABS brakes , technical service bulletin #10003580 DRB 111 software version 56.0 contained an error. Required pinion factor not programmed on this version. Go to www.nhtsa.dot.gov , select vehicle and equipment .

420

I had simular issues, 03 Ram 5.7. ABS, Brake, Engine, and Airbag lights were on. In addition the speedo, odometer, and ac controls stopped working. Many other unrelated problems as well. Onboard diagnosis indicated P0501 (BS!!!!!!!!!). It ended up being a bad ignition switch. Problem solved for me.

70

Exactly my symptoms changing the switch tomorrow... i was leaning this way thanks for making up my mind

2,965

Hows about taking your vehcile to an ASE Certified mechanic...at a Mopar dealer....just sayin.

4,245

that's great info. thanks for sharing

4,245

that indeed is a good option

175

i can help had the same 2 problems about 8 years ago went through some really bad rain and then had the problems it was a rear end sensor and the tranny speed sensor i would spend the extra money for the better one bc it is gone again replacing it again tomorrow lol

70

Iim not sure about you but i've been down that road with the "stealerships " they bring your car in put hundreds of dollars in parts on that are not the problem and charge you for them including labour and DONT fix the problem . they put a new computer on my truck for a performance problem didn't fix the issue but still charged me 800 dollars for it and went home with the same problem ..i avoid the dealerships at all cost sorry

10

have a mechanic check your brake lines. didnt have brakes, so i thought it may have needed new shoes, but the brake lines were busted. found out it was a common issue with durangos

100

would you know if the same problem exists for 01 durangos? i have abs and break light on and my pads are new but it does not break

455

Excellent answer. I would start here.

10

I have a 98 Durango and the ABS/Brake lights came on sometimes when I started the vehicle and sometimes not. When I hit the brakes hard twice now, the lights came on and stayed on until I restarted. I replaced the rear sensor and flushed the brake system. Finally a dealer was able to coax some codes out of the system and we replaced the ABS module. Problem fixed for $500...

Same abs gos on and off bade modg or reprgram it only 80.$ at dalers

40

I have had my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 in the shop at three different dealerships with no repair solving the problem. My Speedometer doesn't work, ABS and brake lights stay on as well as the check engine light. I am tired of throwing money away at dealership techs who can't seem to fix it so I want to try myself. I know that all three speed sensors have been replaced numerous times and that didn't fix it. A new pcm, and hours of electrical wiring checks by dealer , still no fix. Does anyone have the correct wiring diagram for a 2005 DODGE RAM 1500 slt QC?

10

Well i myself now have this problem and have replaced both sensors and lights still on and spedo still not working and i have traced wires n dont seem to find anything wrong any help i would be thankful for

420

I had simular issues, 03 Ram 5.7. ABS, Brake, Engine, and Airbag lights were on. In addition the speedo, odometer, and ac controls stopped working. Many other unrelated problems as well. Onboard diagnosis indicated P0501 (BS!!!!!!!!!). It ended up being a bad ignition switch. Problem solved for me.  Posted by tprty 5 years ago