2013 Dodge RAM 1500 what is the difference between 50 state emission and california emission?

10

Asked by Dec 11, 2015 at 03:56 PM about the 2013 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab

I wonder what the technical differences are between the California version and the normal version for us. Need to know for trouble shooting.

34,965

If the car meets California requirements then it is 50 state compliant. They are the same thing as the land of fruits and nuts has the strictest requirements.

345

Unless things have changed in the past 4 years and when I was an MVPC Installer/Inspected for California, FedEPA standards are not the same as CalEPA standards, nor are the the same as Canadian EPA specs. There are internal differences in computed compression ratios, cam timing, injection algorithms and ignition DLLs that are quite different. So, it's a little more complicated than that. Emission standards are backwards compatible acceptably in all ConUS and Canada. If you're buying an engine, try to get a Canadian one. We never had this conversation.

143,355

By far. Calif requires more 02 sensors, a 3-way cat, an aux air pump on some cars and mire. But I feel the need to say, having lived in California most of my life- in the 60's the air was so bad it would make your eyes sting, there are mountains 20 miles from the old family home I grew up in that you could not see. It was horrible. And 90% of it was from car emissions. Now people whine and complain about 'smog checks', but I am all in favor of them. Now, in 2015 the mountains are beautiful from same vantage point and air is -almost- clean. The emissions regulations WORKED and cheap at twice the price.

34,965

You cannot register a 49 state car in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia but there are some exceptions. They used to take a bribe to do it (fee) but now they don't. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/? 1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_ facts/ffvr29

143,355

JPV do you think a smog check inspector would not notice the difference? In a heartbeat? It's not the EPA, it's the Calif Air Resources board and if the tail-pipe probe does not 'approve' the emissions I don't care if the engine came from Canada or Zimbabwe. It used to be a problem that smog-check inspectors you could slip them a $20-spot and they would sign off on it. But the tail-pipe probe data goes directly to Sacramento via internet

143,355

We were posting at same time FoR. But right on

10

That's great- thank you for the answers. I need to know- is there anything specific in the regulation, PCM, more than just 3-way oxy cat, etc...- The EGR is sticking all the time- had already 3 replaced. lived on the east coast and never had the problem. so- that's why I ask, what specifically is different, that this can happen?

34,965

California no longer actually checks the smog emissions but checks the cars computer along with a visual inspection. The VIN will show what smog requirements the car meets and there is a sticker under the hood that says if the car is 50 state compliant or not. 50 state smog IS California requirments, there is no California smog requirements other than the 50 state.

143,355

Personally I don't know more that what I already listed. Go to FoR's link and you may have to navigate some, to set specifics, but it's all there. Best of Luck. ~David

34,965

Maybe the original poster meant to ask what is the difference between 49 state cars and California cars?

Best Answer
143,355

There you are. Good work FoR

143,355

And are you calling me a fruit and nut? (;-

34,965

Not you unless I am one too. My work here is done. Have a good one Ford!

10

yeah- I need to figure out, why the EGR Valve always starts sticking. seems to produce more soot - I drive nixed roads incl. highway. I took one of the valves apart and found, that the valve has a lot of soot inside. I work on cars on the side- and I never seen this on gasoline engines- except they where short distance vehicles. But I drive about 30 miles one way 2x per day and it looks like the car from a soccer mom driving twice a day 1 mile down the road to school and back. wonder if this has anything to do with the different equipment for California norm. and there I would need to know, what the differences are and what to check.... sorry for the confusion..

143,355

The EGR, Exhaust Gas recirculation is to reduce Nox emissions. The only thing I can think of that would keep fouling it is cheap gas without detergents. If you buy non "Top-Tier" gas that could be the problem. And you are absolutely right about repeated short trips. Every car manufacturer says use only use: http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

10

Well, I use only she'll or ExxonMobil . What I wonder is, if it can be, that due to the extra catalytic converter there might be a higher back pressure and if the valve is closed and I drive stop and go or after cold start, it pushes the exhaust gas in the egr and soot it up. I talked to others with the 4.7 and they have the same problem. I always liked the 4.7 because it's cheap, easy to repair and reliable and does, what I want it to do. Even pulling my camper. But since I'm in CA I have troubles.

34,965

California has some nasty ethanol diluted gasoline and they change the type of gas you can buy in the spring and fall. Gasoline may be your problem. If other people are having the same problem then I suspect it is a quirk of the engine you have. Congratulations you own a Dodge!

34,965

Just for the record I have never liked Shell or Exxon gas. You might want to try Chevron or another brand.

10

Call me weired, but I noticed that the quality of gas at shell and ExxonMobil is better than others. I get up to 1-2 mpg more. I already suspect the gas, but I also thought about the different emission equipment causing a hard time on the engine. But thanks a lot- oh- and i owned ford, Chevy and some German brands. I will stick with dodge- in 5 years never let me down. Compared to all other vehicles I owned.