so my truck is steadily dripping oil from the top rear of the motor i cant exactly track it down...

Asked by Nov 13, 2015 at 06:04 PM about the 1999 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr STD 4WD Standard Cab SB

im guessing its leaking from somewhere near the oil pressure sending unit... after my last oil change the oil gauge started to bounce back and forth from 0 to about 50 while i was driving and now today i noticed a fairly large puddle of oil under my truck and as far as i can see it appears like it leaking from right around that area...

50

Hey, your on the right track, when you don't change your regularly, it builds up sludge in the oil pan that can clog up your pick up tube which can cause your oil pressure to fluctuate, or it may just be the sending unit, it only leaks when the engines running, sometimes it's hard to see, wipe it off, unplug it, start the engine. If its leaking, with the plug off, you will see oil where you shouldn't, replace the switch, no oil leak, gauge working properly, GOOD DAY

Best Answer
60,655

Oil pressure senders can leak so you may want to replace it.

I hope thats all it is cause its only a 30$ part but its just a real pain to get to in this truck... Ugh the pleasures of dodge ownership... N my stubborn tooshie always wants to try and do everything for myself lol

46,365

Maybe spray some parts cleaner in the oil leak area, clean the area, then start the engine (being careful no to get tangled up in something moving) and locate the leak. There is nothing worse than changing a part and finding the problem is still there. It is likely the oil pressure sender.

3,855

These are also notorious for having oil sending units go bad.

Yep totally was my sending unit... Its amazing how much oil can come through such a small part but i guess even just a little hole at almost 80p over 2000 rpms is alotta force... That sucker was spewing oil and of course naturally my 1st thought was rear main... But i lucked out and was able to get back in there... And what a pain it was on this truck i had to totally be a contortionist to get to it... Pulled something in my neck but i got er done! The hardest part was actually finding the darn specialty socket for it... Everyplace i went had one but it still wasnt deep enough finally found one that fit it at Oreillys auto parts lol but i got it done no more leaks and the oil guage is workig fine yay!