Why Is My Truck Squealing When I Hit the Gas?

210

Asked by Mar 18, 2013 at 05:48 PM about the 1999 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr Sport Extended Cab SB

I replaced the serpentine belt so its not that, but when im in neutral and rev up the engine or when im
driving something starts squealing. Very annoying and if you have any ideas please throw them my way,
thanks!

27,015

have you check the belt tensioner? if the belt doesnt have enough tension it will slip causing it to squeel.

Best Answer
27,015

also make sure its not gettin some kind of fluid on it like oil or coolant. but that should have been pretty obvious when you changed it. just throwing that out there.

Especially right after you start it and the alternator is under a good load, and/or you turn on HVAC fan

210

tightening it did help but now it just takes a little higher rpm's to make it squeal. I sprayed a little WD40 on exterior of belt and it subsided but i know it will only be temporary and I probably shouldnt have sprayed it

the tensioner bearings are frequently sleeved sintered bronze no rollers talk about building castles in the air->>>

96,115

Belt tensioners are good for two belts or 100,000 miles or around 10 years as a general rule of thumb. WD40 or anything else is not recommended but it is not known for it's lubricating qualities and it will be gone in a couple of days.

210

Is there a way to know for sure its the belt tensioner that needs replacement and not another pulley?

you mean spring tension weak? this can be measured.

will research to come up with a spec, but just pull on it and see- would this tighten the belt, which should have about 3/16 max free play.

15

yupe these know what they're talking about. i have the same problem. just cant afford to fix it now. but yupe sounds like your tension pulley. its about to change them any way. right.

3,835

it could also be the water pump. i had noises like this both times when my water pump was going out, and had no other signs that it was going bad.

the weep hole at the bottom and play in the pulley are the tip-offs~

3,835

mine never weeped from the hole and the pulley was fine both times. i went through tensioners and belts before finally changing pump.

95

if its not the belt then its the clutch plate bearing.

10

I know it has been over a year since this post but I had a squealing in My 2000 Dodge Dakota that drove me nuts! I first thought the noise was coming from the alternator pulley so I put a new alternator in..no good still squealed. I then changed the belt tensioner,changed the idler pulley and new belt ( dayco) still squealed. After 3 different brands of belts took to the shop and they could not figure the squeal. They put a shorter belt on bypassing the alternator and not one squeak! Hmmmm..So I decided to try a goodyear gator back belt. Not one squeal in over a month now. So if all else fails give one of the gatorbacks a try maybe it will help.

10

Hi, I know it's been a while. However, I have had the same problem in my 2004 Silverado 1500. I have replaced the water pump, idler pulley bearing, and belt. Still squeaking. :( Also I did a really dumb thing and sprayed power purple alllllll inside my engine compartment (electricals covered) and sprayed it down, let it dry for an hour then drove it and the squeaking was louder and would not disappear. Usually after about 10- 15 min after cold start it would subside.

10

What would cause my Anti break light and parking brake light come on

20

My Question, Truck Squeeled When I Gave It Gas Like It DoeS WheN Power Steering Is Low( Not The Problem), Then It Stalled, Will Turn Over BUT wont Start, Sitting For 3 Weeks Cause I Dont Know What Happen. Any Thoughts Please On What May Have Happen Thank You, Joan bookheimer

Joan try taking out your battery and charging it for a few hours. I had a similar symptom and my battery was low.

10

My dakota squeals when I depress the clutch. The sound is coming from underneath. I just put a new water pump and serpentine belt on it a mo the ago. Throwout bearing?

20

I have a 2016 e450 ford gas after the first 2000 miles it start to squeal so I change the belt , and was fine for about 3 weeks and now it starting to squeal again ? Any suggestions?

I have a 1989 Toyota pick-up truck (Pre-Runner) and it squeals when I start it up then it stops a few seconds after. Then I was driving and on a slight uphill drive it started loosing power taking me down to about 30 mph average at about 3rd or 4th gear. Then on a down hill slope it kicked back up. On a regular speed it averaged 35 maybe 40 but I had to feather the gas peddle to relieve some stress from the engine because I felt it reving higher that the speed it was going. Any suggestions as to what I can be?