problem getting to my spare tire

25

Asked by Apr 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM about the 1999 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr R/T Sport Extended Cab SB

I went to retrieve my spare tire so I grabbed the spare tire tools that came with the truck and went to connect the rod to release the tire. I noticed the connector was below the hole to attach the tool. I have done this one other time and did not run into this. So, carefully looked around for damage or the rod inside that turns to release the tire could of bent some how but no sign. So, I have no idea how the connector rod is just slightly below the hole that I am unable to attach the spare tire tool to release it. I was thinking about lower the rear low pan or rear quarter panel but than it would be out of line with the rear end of the truck. Please can you help. Have any idea how to remedy the problem before I get a flat on the road and can't get to my spare. Thank you

99,195

Now you know why older trucks have the spare tire lying in the truck bed. Those carriers under the rear always corrode and you're lucky to remove the tire from it's grip.

25

Thankful that is not the case. I removed the spare but I had to loosen the rear roll pan or quarter panel to get the connector but I can't be doing that every time I need to get to the spare. There is no problem with the carrier but the connector rod is not lined up with the hole in the back to attach the tool to release the spare. Thank you

20,825

this time you may have lost a flexible universal connector to go with the rod .a universal joint will turn on angles you see. weld up a nice personal tire remover rod, and other quick changing gear to carry with! I E ,an electric impact will lower tire, remove lugs, and even raise a scissor jack so fast you'll wish you run over some nails!

25

thanks 7jimmy7. If some sort of universal connector did detached from the rod. Does any one happen to know the name of the that specific part? Thanks everyone for your input.

80

how do I remove my tire on my 2005 Dakota

35

The manual for the 2005 says the tire will be on the ground. Not mine.. I am getting a new left rear tire Wednesday and when I get spare out, I will keep it in the truck. Always something...