1999 dodge dakota rt, i replaced a water pump for the first time and it was a success. Thanks to you guys. But now i get a squeak from the serpentine belt. Now i know the belt is loose that causing the squeak. What i dont know how is to adjust the alternator to tighten the tension. Can someone explain to me how that works. Or another way to tighten the belt?

15

Asked by Mar 05, 2013 at 12:32 AM about the 1999 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr R/T Sport Extended Cab SB

well the belt is tensioned with a radial arm that either has a compression spring that probably has a micro adjustment on it, but more importantly is the tensioner aligned properly, is it worn loose so as not to be able to function smoothly or in alignment. Probably should get another tensioner arm pulley, as these do wear out, sound crunchy (if you listened with a stethoscope) and get loose, lose their alignment and the belt no longer tracks without scrapin it's shoulders. You could try monkeyin with the spring tension, but do beleive that it's permanently set (more or less). Please check the operation of the spring arm tensioner, it's alignment, and the troublesome idler bearing.

15

well, if i can avoid paying for a new part would be great. so i heard the alternator is the way.

well there is only one belt. The alternator is serviced by this belt too, so gettin that tesioner to work properly would help...get a new belt, this will stop all squeakin' and the tensioner pulley should be kinda cheap too, like under 60, so it's a miniumum investment if you can find a grease monkey to do the work for you it's a fairly easy job.

90,085

Bob is right on all counts. As the tensioner ages, the spring weakens and the bearings wear. They start squeaking right after start up when the alternator is calling for volts to recharge the battery. They usually last around ten years or two belts. Get a new tensioner and a new belt and you're good for another decade.

15

i understand guys and appreciate your knowledge but just for time being. I really dont have money to go and replace the parts. I would like to do it right but for now it is not in my budget. Is there a reason why you guys are avoiding the alternator question that im asking. Will it damage or ruin something else. I feel like you guys are not telling me everything. Any apologizes if im to forward.

there is no crime in being poor. Sadly, there are people who LIVE out of their cars, 'cause there's nowhere else to go....so buck up bucko....it will only get better!

squeakin'.....no prob, proboboly can go a long time this way...long as the alternator still works, let it sing~ there isn't enough room to tell you EVERYthing...:)