99 Dodge Grand Caravan

Asked by May 22, 2016 at 07:21 PM about the 1999 Dodge Caravan 4 Dr LE Passenger Van

Putt new starter in it it start then shut off now  
engine shut off relay  just continues to click tel  I
pulled it out

Now I turn the key does not crank over just engine relay clicks continuous

sounds like there's an electrical problem. bypass everything and use a set of jumper cables to connect the battery ground (-) post to bare metal on the engine and try again. If that doesn't work, use the other half of the jumper cables from battery + to the starter itself if that doesn't make it urn over the battery or starter is bad. If any of that worked I'd start with the engine ground straps. They're bare fine copper braid, and at 18 years old very likely all but non-existent. once you can start the engine measure the voltage from the alternator body to the battery (-) terminal and if it isn't less than 0.2v fix the engine grounding some more. The ground straps often survive until the engine mounts fail. open the hood Have someone else start the car and keep their foot on the brake. put the car in reverse and give it some gas, and then the same in drive. if the engine moves more than a little one or more of the mounts has failed. the mount from the engine to the bottom front center under the radiator is typically the first to go. All mounts are available, except for one variation that's for AWD models only - the one at the driver side wheel well that has the hook for the transmission shift lever, the AWD version is not available from chrysler or any 3rd party. The isolator insert is available, the old mount has to be removed and with an arbor press the old insert is pressed out and the new one in. There is no DIY method. Its cast aluminum so you'll break it it you try to beat it out. For a shop with a press its 2 minutes work. local parts stores may be able to suggest who could help.