Impala stabilitrac service light

Asked by Nov 11, 2016 at 07:24 PM about the 2013 Chevrolet Impala LTZ

What should be the response, repair, cost and
Chevrolet responsibility? If one hub affected, at
repair cost of almost $500, will that be cost for all
four?

The stabilitrac light came on for ny 2013 Impala LTZ with 60,000+ miles. I took it in yesterday. Also had 3rd tire rotation and brake and transmission fluid flush. Of course could not estimate repair cost for stabilitrac. I asked what it is, they replied 'computer sensors on wheels blah blah'. I should have researched but this is huge 'supposedly' legit operation. I expected an easy computer software fix. Received the dreaded call four hours later that the problem is that all the sensors to the 'hub' are not connected becauase the hub and lug nutz and more are destroyed and the hub has to be replaced. I asked what in the world - i have never in my life heard about an actual hub having to be replaced, especially on a 3 yr old car with 60,000 miles on it. Asked more why questions and was told that since these are now all 'sealed' systems which cannot be lubricated, they dry out - have no grease and become destroyed. If so - welcome to why we now have Trump world. I stated that this should be covered by basic power train and manufacturer warranty - told no. How much will it cost? "Around $440". I asked if it would all be finished by end of day (called at 1:30 to 2) , told yes. I thought-you have a left front hub just sitting around and all this will be finished in 3 hrs? Arrived to get car and informed that the mechanic hadnt noticed that a harness for the hub was also shot and had to be replaced at the cost of $200; but they knocked off $100 from labor for another procedure. Total cost for stabilitrac repair: $432 Has anyone else experienced this? Obviously I have to get rid of this before this happens to the other three 'hubs'. BTW: I have a 2002 Pontiac Bonneville with 180,000 miles on it and have never had these issues (and another $1500.00 worth of repairs over past year on the Impala). I sure miss Pontiac!!!!

64,975

Your car is out of warranty? Check the actual cost of the part and maybe you can save a bundle while doing it yourself (check Amazon). I recently replace the two front bearings and ABS sensors (they came together) for less than a hundred bucks. I am sure a shop would have easily charged me more than $500. It only took a couple of hours. Your car is different but probably not that difficult to do.

67,285

I'm actually not surprised. GM has been going down the tubes for the last 20 years! That's why they filed for bankruptcy! These hub bearing assemblies are sealed and serviceable by replacement only. They do fail frequently and, a lot of times, early in the vehicle's life. We sell a lot of them at the NAPA store where I work. The most common GM part number is BR930548K. We keep 2 in stock because they're a fast mover. As for your '02 Pontiac, you got lucky. My Nephew had a '00 Grand Prix and had to have 2 of the hub assemblies replaced. One in 2010 and the second his Buddy had to replace after my Nephew sold him the car. I have the car now and the other 2 hubs are still ok (knock on wood). I only drive the car about 500 miles per year though so I'm sure that factors into it. Unfortunately I believe you are out of warranty on this. But check your warranty booklet. I believe the powertrain warranty is 5years/100,000 miles and the emissions warranty is 5years/50,000 miles or 8years/80,000 miles depending on where you live. HTH. -Jim