Do I need new routers or new brake pads or both?

Asked by Apr 01, 2015 at 12:11 PM about the 2013 Kia Soul +

Hello everyone,I bought my kia soul on september 30th at Lexus of Valencia used with 36k miles and noticed only a few days later(maybe 250 miles) that my brakes were squeeking really loud. I took the car back to have it checked October 18th. The service department said the routers just needed to be turned because it had glazing and sent us on our way at no charge by lexus. now 5 months later we heard loud squeeking again and took it into the kia dealership in valencia to have the brakes looked at. Kia Valencia tell us we need both front and rear brakes and that there are hot spots on the routers so those need to be resurfaced as well. Only 2500 miles have been added to the car and I dont drag race or slam on my brakes all the time so I dont feel that I caused the hot spots. The kia dealership also included that the hot spots were created because new brake pads were not put onto the car before which would have fixed the problem at its source the first time(which lexus did the first fixing). Funny thing is that the Kia dealership is owned by the lexus dealership so technically their own technicians are telling us that the work was done incorrectly the first time. So my question is do I need to follow the Kia dealerships advice to change out the brake pads and resurface the routers or should I ask them to replace the routers beacuse the brake pads still have 7mm(75%) life left of pad? Also did the lexus dealership do incorrect work when they said it was glazing and only turned the routers to fix it?Thanks in advance guys.

242,445

I personally do like to turn down rotors today due to the min. thickness's. With the cost of rotors today, they are a little more than a resurface and I always recommend swapping them out with new pads. As you found out it will be fine for a period of time, but then you'll have problems again. Find a local shop to perform the brake job for you vs the dealership and get new pads and rotors for trouble free driving.