Dodge Stratus 2000 - Replacing the Thermostat.

145

Asked by Nov 18, 2013 at 05:32 PM about the 2000 Dodge Stratus SE

From what I am reading online, it looks like the Thermostat is located just below the
cap in the metal housing.  I wanted confirmation before I disassemble the mounts.

Additionally, if I want to flush the radiator, it looks to be a bear to reach the stop cock
on the front lower radiator.  Is there any trick to draining this radiator?

Thanks,
dgp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoHtaxzkAQc

if you cannot get to the drain cock, pull of the lower hose...have a catch basin handy~

been lookin' for a video for the Stratus...Neon is different..yes, I know~

145

Judge Roy, Thanks. That Youtube video was the first one I pulled up, which led me to believe the unit was right under the cap. I'm thinking that I haven't located the Thermostat. I thought it was the item I'm showing in the photo. However, online searches show a black plastic housing with 3 hose connections. Any thoughts?

yes yes yes...under that flange....think of the coolant flow...where do you want it stopped to increase the engine temp....should be obvious~

Best Answer Mark helpful
145

Thanks for the coaching. It even looks to match the diagram I found.

145

What's confusing me in the diagram, I don't see where the part 39 bolts into the housing. The Thermostat fits in between, I believe. Are you saying that I simply remove the two bolts on the flange. It looks like the Thermostat should be sideways, not up and down. Like you said, where you'd like to stop the flow.

that's it....what's it called "Achem's razor" or some such shit....the most obvious is the correct solution~

yes...part number forty....weirdos~

....for the two and a half liter model...2.4 and 2.0 use part 24~

Thanks for stickin' with me....everyday I learn something new about cars...recently discovered the The Chrysler 300 has NO timing chain but camshaft geared to the main crank (like a Volkswagen)~

145

I found this link which reconfirms exactly what you were saying. Thanks. http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/4t91b-chrysler-cirrus-lxi-replace- thermostat-1998.html

145

I have the Thermostat off and it appears to be functioning properly. I have a new Thermostat, however now I'm not sure it is the problem. I started the engine with the Thermostat cover off and I could see the water cycling properly in the engine. I also flushed out the radiator and the engine's water compartment. So, I'm going to put it back together with the new Thermostat. We will see how it goes. I did notice that the radiator fan wasn't spinning. Perhaps it needs heat before it kicks in.

Why the water in the water dispenser make a noise like boiling? but the temperature needle shows me not overhead yet!