Transmission Slips

Asked by Nov 02, 2013 at 03:52 PM about the 2000 Dodge Stratus SE

The transmission is slipping occasionally due to a slow unidentified leak.  I'm using
the thick anti-slip fluid and that helps.

I'm about to go under the car and look for the problem, however I'm not sure where to
start.  I have the Chiltons manual, but can't find a blow-out showing where the various
gaskets and seals can be found.  Any leaks to a diagram or illustration would be

When the transmission fluid is filled, there is absolutely no slipping.  Therefore, I
believe a leak is the only problem.  I'd like to fix it myself.

Get under the car properly supported and look for anything wet. It might be the pan gasket. You can do that yourself with some tools. But it might be leaking at the transmission where it meets the engine. A transmission seal could fail and that would require you to remove the transmission. I really would suggest you take it to a shop and have them fix it for you. Your doing damage driving the car with it slipping, and adding that anti-slip fluid. Before you know it, you'll be rebuilding it.

Best Answer Mark helpful

I'll do that. I'm also thinking of putting some newspaper down, so I can see if any of the red transmission fluid drips. The car is always parked in the same place and it doesn't seem to have an drippings on the ground.