When i start my 2000 dodge stratus, and reverse from my parking spot, put it in drive..it still keeps reversing. i have to put it back in park and wait 10-15 mins before it will go forward.

Asked by Jan 30, 2013 at 11:15 PM about the 2000 Dodge Stratus SE

4 cyl, 130,000 miles

So it won't come out of reverse? Will it go neutral? When it does go into drive does it shift roughly? It sounds like you maybe have mechanical problems with your transmission. I would take it to a transmission shop ASAP

Yeah i put it in drive but it wont come out of reverse. No matter what gear i put it on it keeps reversing. It does shift roughly actually. It only seems to do all this when i first start the car in the morning after its been sitting for 8+ hours. When the cars still hot i dont seem to have any problems. My friend told me to check the trans fluid and its where it needs to be. Someone else told me to let the car run for awhile before driving, i guess ill try that and if not, ill take her to the shop. Thanks

Well something is definitely wrong with your car... I would recommend that you get it to the shop as soon as possible. You shouldn't have to let your car warm up for 10-15 minutes before you can drive it. can be a faulty valve plate or It can also be be a stretched or faulty automatic transmission linkage... I really don't know. Hopefully someone else on here can give you a better idea on what the problem could be.

not as bad as slips into drive when you're working in front of it. A ford Ranchero tried to kill me from worn transmission linkage. When there is more than one link rod. and all three are adjustable, and someone's been monkeyin' around with the adjustments, it's time to seek a pro...or just get another tranny.

Angel Jimenez

no no no trust me it aint ur trany its a sensor u have that if not on there right or to old it well do that it happend alot alot alot but in many ways.most times u drive and with out notic it drops to 1 gear u have to tun off then bac on for it to work..if it was tranny it woulent ever work...dodge are known for this issue