what rearends fit under a 55 chevy

65

Asked by Jun 23, 2012 at 09:58 PM about the 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Base

Replacing the rearend in my 55chevy belair, will a 1972 nova rearend fit??  

you have to measure it and note the position of all connections,why not just change the pumpkin , you won't even have to take the rear out. is the nova rear a 10 bolt or 12 bolt?

65

The nova rearend is a 10 bolt, after the measurements I took. Got to cut brackets on nova part and move them out 1 inch, and probably have dryshaft cut. Just wandering if there was a direct replacement to just bolt in. Maybe a late model??

i don't think it's worth all the trouble, a 10 bolt? , the rear on the 55 is a different design altogether, why not just rebuild the center section of the 55 ? you pull the axles ,unbolt the pumpkin and pull it out and let a shop install a posi unit and then you pop it in and go, it's a lot less work , time and money. what engine is in it ?

65

My old car is a 4 door, 6cly. 3 on the tree, my son in law is a welder by trade. So moving brackets b OK. The old rearend needs a total rebuild . Had the nova rearend in the shed for a few years. I redid the brakes and almost ready to install. Do u know of any late model rear that will direct bolt in??

also you can check hemmings.com for a used one and just bolt it right in, or ebay,