2000 dodge neon backfiring

Asked by Mar 15, 2016 at 07:47 PM about the 2000 Dodge Neon 4 Dr ES Sedan

2000 dodge neon 144000. 9 months ago had
replaced the radiator myself but had to stretch the
lines to fit burped the system replaced coolant
tank and replaced radiator cap, wasn't overheating
anymore but car has hard time shifting afterwards
will get stuck in a gear, put more transmission fluid
in still red. Check engine light came on it was a
large evap leak and small emission leak took it to
get fixed at hanover dodge. Purchased a new
vehicle so neon sat for 7 months w/o being started  
with half tank of gas. So car wouldn't start now
after charging battery, replaced battery and a fuel
pump relay switch fuse, new spark plugs car starts
now but is backfiring and sputtering. If I Rev it will
cut off and if I keep trying to get it to go in reverse
it will stall out. Vehicle does have some cylinder
leaks but has ran before with them also in process
of replacing. Also, since I've had the vehicle since
2012 I haven't replaced fuEl filter. Could it be old
gas and a fuel filter needed? When I turned wheel
side to side in park the check engine light came on
but idk what the code(s) are or is. No flashing
check engine light.

10

Okay first off forget the trans mission letlet's see why the car stalls do you mean stall as well in wont move or the engine shuts off/dies out if it dies out check the plugs see of your getting fuel to the feont by checking the fuel rail pressure tap looks like a rim valve outlet/inlet turn the key on and push the peg in the middle like you would to let air out of a tire if nothing you have a fuel problem could be pump relay fuse etc if so you could have a clogged injector put some injector cleaner in THE gas if you have pressure and floorboard it while starting it and let it warm up even if you have to push the gas down to the floor for 5 minutes till it smoothes out and if that does not help get a oil chnage with some heavy weight oil (thick) and also add 1 quart of lucas engine stabilizer dont add a extra court just include the lucas in your oil change when you get it the oil change place will do it for the the reason I say add heavy weight oil is so your rings are plugged with thick oil and when you turn it over it will be harder for the gas to get by the piston rings and make the engine doesnt lose pressure and gasoline delute your oil so it doesnt sputter and after all this if it continues goto autozone have it scanned you may have a ton of codes but look the the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor if it's bad replace it this should fix your problem

10

Clear all codes after auto zone never clear unless told to do so by your mechanic thanks Michael