Why did my reverse not work any longer?

20

Asked by Jan 11, 2015 at 08:24 PM about the 2000 Dodge Neon 4 Dr ES Sedan

I have a manual five speed 2000
dodge neon es. It won't let me go into
reverse but all other gears work fine.
Is there a simple fix?

9,780

Yes ... could be this problem View it at ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8PyPTWcrWU~ He said the fix was less than a $5 part. I hope this is your problem too Good Luck

20

We checked and that part is fine. It just locked me out of reverse...

9,780

If it were me, I would concentrate on that area since it's either the shifter or the linkage. Unless the trans has been giving you some kind of indication before you lost reverse then I seriously doubt it's the trans itself.

20

Yes. Everything was working great. I drove to store. Parked. Was in for ten minutes. Went to start car and back out and I was locked out of reverse. Maybe reverse takes fluid to help it not get stuck?

9,780

Nope ... from what I see there is a mechanism outside the trans that pulls that linkage out. I don't know where you live but in some snowy area's that linkage may have hit something ... donno, just my guess . But as I said earlier ... I seriously doubt there's anything wrong with your transmission

Any luck in fixing Neon. I have 04 same problem. new SHIFTER cable and new bushings. reverse still don't work