The van is not accelerating immediately but with a delay, after pressing gas

Asked by Feb 18, 2016 at 10:15 AM about the 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan American Value Package

The van is not accelerating immediately but with a delay, after pressing gas.
No matter what speed the van is going in , there seems to be a sudden jump
from 1000 rpm to 2000 rpm. What could be the problem ?

Chris Lenga

There could be many, actually. How long has it been since you've cleaned the fuel system? Depending on miles, might not be a bad place to start. Always work on the simplist things first so you don't ramp up costs too quickly. Any will do, but I typically use seafoam at least 2-3 times a year and I notice a significant difference in performance in all of my vehicles. Depending on when your last tune up was, that could be part of it too.

about 38000 miles. I've never cleaned the fuel system. Is that recommended on a vehicle like mine - about 3 years old,38K miles? What other things do I look for ? Thanks for your response .

Chris Lenga

It never used to be something you needed to do regularly, but with all the nonsense they put in fuel, its definitely worth it. I do it pretty much around the time I do oil changes and since I run full synthetic in all of my vehicles, I usually do it every 7-10k miles. What you look for will vary from vehicle to vehicle and symptom to symtom. I'd start off running Seafoam and check your air filter. You can easily do this yourself on most vehicles without paying the $40+ most places charge. Refer to this video for an idea of where and what you're looking at. Beyond that, depending on when the last tune up was, you may start treading into territory of changing plugs/wires and other tune up specific items. I'd refer to your manual for the exact timeframe of when you should do your tune up as practically every vehicle is different in that area.

That was useful. Thanks. Will start with the air filter and sea foam.

Chris Lenga

Cool. That should definitely start you off on the right path. Those are the two simplist items that have a huge impact on performance. You should even see a fuel mpg increase after both are handled.