to repair or replace

Asked by Jun 26, 2013 at 08:50 AM about the 2000 Dodge Intrepid ES

a friend bought a 2000 intrepid with a 2.7 engine and 200,000 miles, when he test drove motor sounded good, after only 500 miles notices a knock in engine, mechanic said sounded like main bearings, body of car is in fair shape, should he repair or replace engine, what engine would be best to replace with, thanks, joe

If it ends up needing an engine (certainly hope not) stick with the same one. Less work and fewer other parts need to be changed, going with another engine who knows what is compatible and not. If it is the main bearings for sure, that is a moderately labor intensive job. You might be able to find a good low mileage used engine, and the cost with labor will be more than doing the bearings in the old one, but you get a newer engine out of the deal. 200,000 is really getting up there to start dumping money in to. Who knows what would fail next . Or a crate engine, rebuilt if the rest of the car is worth it. But a 'knock' could be so many things. An OBD scan might help point you in the right direction

22,455

I hope he didn't pay a lot for the car- 200K mi.- we should never buy a car for transportation with that kind of mileage on it- David is right- a lot of other things are waiting to go wrong- the newer, computer controlled cars are certainly not collectible- they are like kleenex- use them, throw them away- sad for the world's environment- I wish we could all start buying the old cars if they are rust free, and just fix them up- the advantages are that we get to personalize them (color, accessories, etc.) and we get to cruise around with some style- a few people are doing this, and not just for car shows, for their daily drivers- next time you see a classic on the road, give the driver a thumbs-up

5

2.7L Dodge engines are nothing but bad news. Replacement engines are few and far between and very few mechanics know how to properly repair them. It is possible to replace it with a 3.2 or 3.5l engine, as long as it's from the 1998-2001 line.