My car dies when I let off the gas

5

Asked by RangoGrl4 Dec 05, 2012 at 03:37 AM about the 2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT, I bought a month ago. I noticed it had a slow start but it still started and ran fine. I drove it this morning to an appt and then back with no problems. I went to leave this afternoon and it wouldn't start. Tried a few minutes later and it started but when I let off the gas it dies. What could be causing this? There isn't a check engine light on, was wondering if I should still plug my OBD reader in it and see if anything comes up. Also wondering if it could be fuel filter. I can smell gas, kinda like its flooded...but its running, til I take the foot off the pedal? Any ideas would help. Thx :)

42,255

leaky injector, vacuum leak, out of time, could be a few things. Plug a scanner up and look for anything out of the ordinary

755

Same here. Almost like it needs to clear its throat . I just keep it at a higher RPM and it seems to clear up after 30-45 seconds. Have just gone through entire engine compartment and found no frayed wires, broken vac lines. I have not check the injectors or the fuel rails.

4,975

Our truck´s are very sensitive about the battery, When I was working on my Durango few years back and had the stereo on for about 10 hours the battery ran low and it acted up just like that for few days, I cleaned the connectors on the battery and it ran fine for 4 years then it started again so I changed the battery and it ran fine again. It could also need a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank but since it has a slow start my guess is the battery.

80

Same thing happened to me today. I simply kept the rpms right around 800 and shifted from neutral to drive. I had to gas while braking and everything but after about three minutes of city driving it would idle all by itself. Also, the oil pressure was high until it could idle by itself then it was back to normal. I just wish i knew why this worked.

20

2000 Dodge Neon 2.0 liter sohc blogs down an dies when i press on gas

I have the same problems. But we still haven't figured out what the true problems are. It could be the connection to the battery. We fix the distributo

30

I didnt believe that the battery would be the cause but we cleaned the post and the terminals and we are back on the road.

50

Ppl that keep saying the battery like come on now. If the car starts or turns over then the battery is good. I could start my durango and take the battery completely out and drive to the next state if i wanted. If it doesnt stay running or see the voltage die down while running that would be alternator. But that has nothing to do with having to press on the gas to "clean it out". Its either air or fuel problem. Injectors are usually the unlikely cause unless it has 250k plus miles then maybe. Good chance it could be the fuel pump/filter/regulator which is all in one piece for these durangos. Make sure your air filter is clean and getting good air flow. Make sure o2 sensor isnt bad.

30

Tore all the rubber out from the left headlight put in a dryer vent hose e right on the brain. Tore the end off of the air filter box that dead ends into the inside fender well getting no air. It fixed the rpm going up and down then dying .also the dying while driving locking up brakes a nd steering.. There is a recall on the brains but same problem unless they move them to other side which they could the wires reach. Aim putting a y pic pipe in my hose to keep air box cool and brain then blocking side and top. Total fix! The engine compartment let's no hot air out causing all kinds of sensor fails. Get rid of the rubber open it up let it breath it will run so much better for you. I also agree if your alt diode are bad the battery is not getting a full charge it's causing problem s because if it. Auto zone does better testing than orilley. They did mine 3 times saying it was fine finally went to auto zone to find bad diodes not fully charging artery!