2013 CTS has alot of road noise, anyone else have this problem?

70

Asked by Dec 18, 2013 at 09:01 PM about the 2013 Cadillac CTS 3.0L Luxury AWD

Sounds like backdoors/ window is open! Is this normal for CTS?

2,785

I've driven a few Cadillacs, especially CTS's, that weren't exactly quiet. But there are several mechanical issues that can present themselves as road noise as well. First thing to have checked is your tires, if they are cupped, they will be noisy. Also have the hub bearings checked, and the driveshaft carrier bearing. A few Cadillacs, especially the STS, have an issue with them failing.

9,575

I had a 2011 CTS coupe. I thought it had a lot of road noise also. The sound proofing in the rear of the car is not all that great but your problem is most likely the tires. There is a definite difference in noise between tire manufacturers because of different tread patterns and whether the tire is a Summer tire or an All Season tire.

Best Answer Mark helpful
70

Thanks for the replies, My car only has 2000 mi. on it, didn't notice during test drive with salesman talking and all. Still a nice car but not sure I can deal with road noise. My husbands 2012 1ton dually has less road noise. Oh well live and learn!! Happy Holidays!!

2,785

What tires does it have on it? It may have sub-par or aggressive tires on it, depending if they're factory equipment or not. Tires with large, non-segmented tread blocks tend to be very noisy and if they're cheap, they may not have very good variable pitch siping (its purpose is to cancel out road noise). I'm a Tire Expert, it's what I do for a living...so if you like, feel free to tell me what size and brand/model tires are on the car and I can give you feedback.

70

I have 18" Michelan Pilot HX MXM4 tires. It would be great if it was tires, easy fix.

2,785

Loo, those tires are known to be one of the best riding and quiet tires on the market...they're certainly not cheap. Put a pair of gloves on, in case there's anything in the tires that might cut your hand, and run your hands around the tread portion of the tire. Do you feel a "wavy" pattern? If so, your tires are cupped/chopped, which will cause noise. If they feel smooth all the way around, then that isn't your issue. Normally at this point I would suggest having a professional check it for a hub bearing or driveshaft carrier bearing issue... But since your car is brand new, it is most likely a characteristic of the car and poor cabin sound insulation.

20

I have 2500 miles on a new 2013 CTS. Sooo disappointed in the amount of noise in the cabin. Wind, ABS thump kicking in, thumping of motor. Wondering if it is a lemon. Surely not normal, but then again I have never owned a Cadillac.

2,785

Yipes... The new CTS was voted Car of the Year by one of the magazines I think.... Unless they meant the 14 Model Year...not sure... I *have* worked on a handful of the earlier CTS's..late 2000's....and in those, the noise isolation was fairly poor and the drivetrain was okay but not exactly smooth either... With the constant one-upmanship in the new car/truck segment, a 2013 Cadillac being noisy inside certainly doesn't boast of build quality.... I would take it back & buy an 2011+ Dodge Charger or Chrysler 300. That's just me though. Good luck!

50

I.'ve just lately purchase a 2012 cts and when riding it has so much noise as if the back Windows are down . Disappointed stuck with a lemon.

I have a CTS, lots of noise like the back windows are slightly down. Turned out to be my sunroof wasn't level. Small adjustment and its quiet now,

My 2009 is very noisy. Sound like rear window wind noise. My Acadia and Dodge Ram are much quieter.

I have a 14 xts and i have had 2 wheel bearings replaced. The first one was in first year! So dont rule it out.

I just bought a 2017 CTS V 6 coupe out of a crate and its my first new GM and 3 months later with 4,550 miles and not a happy camper....issues like a rattles in muffler seat belt very noisy, and a defrost heater is noisy as u switch from auto to defrost.Dealer claims its normal, but I told them its bullshit.The car drives quietly down the road, but sometimes the engine surges ahead roughly and not sure if the dealer had fixed it...I ll test it tomorrow when engine is cool/cold....it was only 33 degrees here last week...