I have a 1962 mercedes 220SE and I have fuel and spark and it still won't start. Anyone have any ideas?

Asked by Apr 13, 2016 at 08:01 PM about the 1965 Mercedes-Benz 220 SE Coupe

102,385

How's the compression? you might want to do a dry and a wet for comparison.

The compression was about 50

102,385

Too low, it won't fire on that, try it wet, just a little bit of oil in each cylinder and see what they come up too.

That was just on one crank of the motor my tester won't hold the pressure for some reason but I just checked and I lost spark I believe it has something to do with the points but I'm not sure how to check or adjust them

The compression is 115

102,385

Low but passable, looks like you better get some new points and condenser, looks like they have been very hot. Then go to you tube and watch the video on how to replace a set of points and setting them.

Okay thanks. I have the points ordered and will be here tomorrow that what I was thinking also. I have a new condenser and coil that I will be putting on also.

A little back ground on this car is it sat for 15+ years but ran great when it was parked the motor was freshly rebuild at that time. When I got it the 4th piston was seized and I pulled the head off and got the piston(s) freed up and turning nice put everything back to time and back together. An idea I have had to get the compression up is to pull the car in gear to get the motor warm and moving better. Any other ideas?

102,385

Before attempting anything else put a little machine oil in each cylinder, if you don't have any machine oil then regular motor oil will work, not too much as you don't want to foul out the plugs. This will help the rings seal and hopefully they haven't collapsed and unable to hold good compression.

Okay thanks. I did put some 5w30 in each one bit not a lot