Car won't start after a month

10

Asked by Sep 22, 2016 at 10:44 PM about the 2013 Kia Optima LX

Hello!
Please help. My car won't start.
It's a KIA Optima 2013, the last time I drove it was in May, and I parked it in a garage for the summer since I had left the States.
I came back in August, turned it on, it worked. I turned it on a couple times after. Now a month has passed and I hadn't turned it on, and now that I tried, it won't work.
Does it also have to do something with the fact that when I parked it in May it was on low fuel? I brought fuel from a gas station today and filled it in, but still the same issue. I hope this also didn't make it worse.
What happens is the engine is making a weird noise, then all that happens is things turn on the screen, showing a gas lamp, a 0 trip mileage, etc.
Also, when I try to close/open the car, it takes a while for it to open and close, and same with lights: for them to go on and off.
Do you think this is a serious problem? I am really freaking out and I hadn't done anything to it for a month which was a stupid mistake.

Please help, I would really appreciate it!!

A.

21,075

Needs a New Battery.

10

Are you sure? Do you know how much approximately that costs?

21,075

Does the car engine turn over fast enough to crank the engine when you turn the key? Get a battery booster or jumper cables and jump Start it off to crank it. If you do not know how to do this just ask. If it cranks let the car run for a while to charge the battery back up. Then take it to auto-zone and get it load tested. Batteries do not last long when they sit like that, it would of lasted longer if you unhooked first before letting it sit that long and put a battery tender on it to keep volts up.

21,075

I had my battery last almost 7 years which is longer than most and I just spent $128.00 to replace it less than 2 weeks ago so yes I know what they cost, And I did not skimp and buy the cheap model battery either that is way my last one lasted 7 years.

10

So when I turn the key, it makes a strange cranking noise but it's not like the noise before turning on. It's more silent and doesn't really resemble a normal noise when engine is about to turn on. Do you think there is a possible other defect? Hopefully then it's rather the battery. The lights come on, but they wont turn off for a while. All kinds of things appear on the screen, not the usual ones, but everything: mileage, oil lamp, etc. Would it also give the car less value after changing the original battery? I was considering selling it that is why I didnt renew the insurance to drive it around since I wasnt sure I'd be staying here.

10

The car is relatively new: year 2013, and has low mileage, around 16,000 miles. Hopefully its nothing serious.

21,075

No a new battery will increase value, batteries do not mater toward original parts like if it has the original engine. Like said in earlier post try jump starting it and see if it cranks or put a battery charger on it. When the battery does not have enough power to turn over the engine it will not sound the same as a good charged up battery.

10

Okay thank you so much for your help! How can I jump start it though or charge the battery?

21,075

If you can have somebody help you jump start it or put a battery charger on it, many people have jumper cables, battery boosters and battery chargers. They need to be hooked up correctly or you could harm the computer or fuses or even the battery and alternator so have someone that knows how to do it.

21,075

You need a set of jumper cables. The red jumper wire goes to the positive terminal on both the batteries + it has the plus symbol. and black wire connects to the negative - terminals on both batteries, the one in your car and one from the other car, have both cars turned off, to make sure they are connected correctly then if no sparking at battery terminals crank the other car and let run for a while say 15 minutes, then try to start yours if it does not crank let the other car continue to charge your battery longer then try again.

21,075

Battery charger you have your car turned off and if you can disconnect the battery terminals as you will have to leave this connected possible 24 hours. Connect red clamp to positive+ battery terminal and black clamp- to negative battery terminal and then plug the charger up to wall outlet. Keep a watch on the battery and charger if charger has a button to select which size battery 6/12/24/48 select 12v and if it has a button to select charging voltage select the lowest setting example it may say 1v or 2v or 6v or 10v select the 1v since it is the lowest. If the battery has the removable water fill caps take a flat head screw driver and lift the up enough to let it breath. Its faster and easier to jump it off and let the alternator charge it back up letting the car run for a little bit.

21,075

When the charger has reached full battery level most newer chargers will have a led light that comes on and it may continue to try to top it off or some higher end unit cut off by themselves but do not rely on it cut off watch till its fully charged and unplug it. And remember to put the caps on battery back in tight just tap it on.

21,075

Remember red to Positive and has + the plus symbol. Remember Black to Negative and has - the minus symbol.

10

Thank you for your help! I'll try that tomorrow. Do you recommend I still try to turn on the car before? But what confuses me is the problem with the lights, locking/unlocking the door too.. Like the whole process takes a long time, the car won't react to the remote normally.

21,075

If you do not have to turn it on for any other reason do not turn it on until you have charged the battery up some and are trying to start it and if does not start right away let it charge some more. Battery may not take a charge but if you jump start it the alternator will be able to run the car because it is making enough power to do so.

10

Hello! I went to my car this morning, it won't even open.. I clicked open on the remote, all that happened was the lights came on, and wouldn't turn back off for a while. But the car didn't open at all, and didn't react when I pressed the lock button, since usually it makes a loud sound. Do you think this is also a problem with the battery?

21,075

Yes.

10

Hello, Do you know where I could get the battery charger or cable by either chance? None of our cars have it

21,075

Auto parts stores, Hardware stores, Some Gas stations, Lowes, Home depo, Walmart, dollar store, Friends